Fitz Gives Place to 14 Year Old Maths Prodigy

A 14-year old Maths prodigy is set to become the youngest Cambridge undergrad in 273 years after recieving an offer from Fitzwilliam College.

admissions arran fernandez entrance fernandez maths offer pitt youngest

A 14-year old Maths prodigy is set to become the youngest Cambridge undergrad in 273 years.

Arran Fernandez received an offer from Fitzwilliam after passing the STEP entrance examination.

The teenage brain-box needs an ‘A’ in his Physics A-Level exam to become the youngest Cambridge undergraduate since William Pitt the Younger in 1773.

Arran – who is tutored by his Dad at home in Surrey – already has A-levels in maths and further maths.

“Maths has been my favourite subject for as long as I can remember,” he said, “I enjoy being home-schooled because I'm more involved. I can see the mark schemes and help my dad decide the curriculum.”

Arran first hit the headlines in 2001 when he became the youngest pupil to pass a GCSE – by gaining top marks in a foundation paper in maths aged five.

At five, Arran said he wanted to become either “a mathematician, lorry driver or space explorer.” Now he has decided on being a research mathmo, and his greatest ambition is to solve the Riemann Hypothesis, a 150-year old unsolved theory.

A University spokesman said he was not sure whether Pitt's achievement had been bettered. In 1998, a child prodigy called Alexander Faludy came to close to matching Pitt by beginning his Cambridge degree at 15.