A PhD student has raised £63k to sue Bristol Uni for ‘failing to protect’ her against bullying

Raquel Rosario Sánchez claims the uni ‘gaslighted’ her

A PhD student has raised over £63,000 and counting, to sue the University of Bristol for “failing to protect” her against bullying.

Raquel Rosario Sanchez said: “I have been bullied and harassed by students at the University of Bristol for my feminist principles for over three years.

“The university has not only failed to protect me by upholding their own policies but instead, has decided to blame and gaslight me while enabling its overwhelmingly white, British and Russell Group-educated bullies.”

Raquel Rosario Sanchez was formerly the president of feminist group Women Talk Back, but was stripped of her title after the SU sanctioned her for not allowing trans women into a “female-only event.” She was also banned from running for SU leadership positions for two years and made to do an “equality, diversity and inclusion” course.

Now, she claims the university “enabled” students to harass her. She also alleges that the university improperly managed her formal complaint against these students when they dismissed the case citing “reasons unrelated to the merits of the case.”

The legal charges Rosario Sanchez is formally bringing to court include negligence, indirect sex discrimination, and unlawful victimisation under the 2010 Equality Act. The trial is scheduled to take place between the 7th and 14th of February.

A University of Bristol spokesperson said: “Ms Rosario Sanchez has chosen to take legal action against the University. Given this, we will not comment further.

“All concerns about harassment or bullying are taken seriously and action taken in accordance with our University policies. If staff or students have concerns or complaints, we encourage them to raise them directly with us.

“We are committed to making our University a place where all feel safe, welcomed and respected, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, disability or social background.”

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Bristol SU sanctions feminist society after barring trans woman from event

• ‘Colston four’ who helped tear down slave trader’s statue cleared of all charges

•Bristol Uni students are paying £178-a-week to live in rat and silverfish-infested accommodation