Over 500 Covid cases now confirmed at Bristol Uni

Numbers have risen over 300 per cent in less than a week

Bristol University confirmed a further 130 positive Covid cases today, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 526.

A further 129 students and one staff member tested positive, which means that since the first day of reporting – only six days ago – cases have risen by 342 per cent.

The additional staff member who tested positive has been working on campus as well as at home, leading to questions on whether this staff member has been doing face to face teaching.

The University has not confirmed yet whether Covid case data comes from NHS and Public Health England testing, or whether it is solely through the internal self-reporting system.

The rise in Bristol Uni Covid cases (source: Bristol Uni)

Concerns regarding face to face teaching are being raised by staff across the institution, with the Bristol UCU calling for an end to face to face teaching until after Christmas.

In a live stream last week, Vice-Chancellor Hugh Brady told staff that as well as NHS testing and tracing, the University is working on “boosting our testing capacity”, alongside “some private testing capacity which is now available should we need it”, while also boosting internal contact tracing capability.

Follow The Bristol Tab’s Facebook and Instagram pages for the latest Bristol Uni news and updates!