Joe Lycett to Ozzy Osbourne: Here are the celebrities who went to school in Birmingham

Brum is full of talented people

Birmingham has produced many famous and talented people over the years. There must be something in the water as some of Britain’s (and the world’s) best comedians, musicians and other artists have been born and raised in Brum. They may move to more glamorous places like LA but they will always remember their roots.

Here is a rundown of some fabulous Brummie stars.

Joe Lycett

Much-loved comedian (and massive Liz Truss fan) Joe Lycett went to King Edward VI Five Ways school in Bartley Green. Joe Lycett is best known for his stand-up comedy and has appeared on TV shows such as Would I Lie To You as well as presenting his own consumer rights show Joe Lycett’s Got Your Back. He has been in the news recently after a stunt where he appeared to shred ten thousand pounds in protest of David Beckham being paid by the Qatari government to promote the country during the World Cup. Joe later confirmed he had actually donated the money to charity.

Jamelia

Jamelia was born in Handsworth and went to school in Hockley, near the Jewellery Quarter. She went on to be a successful singer and is best known for her catchy track Superstar. Her three studio albums reached the UK Top 40 and she has also achieved eight top-ten singles. The Brummie star won four MOBO awards and nine BRIT award nominations.

Image Credit @officialjamelia

Ozzy Osbourne

The lead singer of Black Sabbath was born in Birmingham and went to Birchfield Road school in Perry Barr. Osbourne’s total album sales from his years in the band, combined with his solo work, are over 100 million. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and won MTV awards.

As well as his musical career, in the early 2000s, Osbourne became a reality TV star on the MTV show The Osbournes, which he starred in alongside his wife Sharon and two of his kids.

Lady Leshurr

Lady Leshurr grew up in Solihull. She is a rapper known for her Queen’s Speech freestyles which became popular in 2016. Her achievments include winning a MOBO award and the British Empire Medal. In 2021, she won the Channel 4 series The Circle and she has also reached the semi-final of Dancing On Ice.

Featured image via Instagram @joelycett @officialjamelia @imladyleshurr 

Stories recommended by this writer:

⋅Venues in the Gay Village are boycotting the World Cup

⋅Meet the ‘Pearfect Quizzers,’ The UoB quiz team who starred on Eggheads

⋅Strikes are back this month at the University of BirminghamÂ