Strikes are back this month at the University of Birmingham

Lecturers will be on strike for three days

The University of Birmingham won’t be the only uni affected by these strikes, every single university in the country will be taking part in this strike.

Last (academic) year lecturers and other teaching staff at UoB took part in 18 days of strikes.

The strikes at the University of Birmingham will be happening on the following dates: November 24th, 25th and 30th.

The strike is organised by the Universities and College Union (UCU). The UCU’s general secretary, Dr Jo Grady, said the strike will be “to defend [teaching staffs] jobs” with hopes to “win a proper pay rise” and “take back their pensions”.

These strikes follow the UCUs national ballot for industrial action. Over 70,000 university staff signed this ballot in support of a strike to take action.

Dr Jo Grady has said that across these three days of strikes the UCU plans “to deliver the biggest picket lines in UCU history”. There will be demonstration of UCU members in London ahead of UCU talks with employers.

Dr Jo Grady has made clear that these strikes are different than the strikes that have come before: “Our message during these three days is very clear. Put a proper offer on the table or this is just the start of our fight back. This strike will be like no other we have called before. The ballot was different, the action will be different, the result will be different. The longer the picket line, the shorter the dispute.”

Related stories recommended by this writer

•Birmingham UCU is balloting members on further strike action

•The pressures of drinking culture at UoB