Coronavirus cases at UoB rise by more than 300 in a week

An additional 301 students and five teaching staff have tested positive within a week

Students have now been back at UoB for less than three weeks and already more than 600 cases have been confirmed among students and teaching staff at the university.

The university’s weekly report was published on the university’s website on Wednesday and includes 301 students and five teaching staff testing positive in non-residential settings from Wednesday 7 October to Tuesday 13 October.

These cases which have been confirmed by the university have been reported after students in Selly Oak were given used Covid-19 tests on Tiverton Road by Birmingham City Council.

These additional cases includes 111 students, who have been on campus two-days before symptoms or a positive test.

This follows a similar trend as last week,  307 UoB students and eight members of staff who tested Covid positive, from 30 September 30 and 6 October.

Twitter user and statistician @RP131 gathers the MSOA figures into regular tables highlighting the worst affected local areas. In the latest table many university areas dominate the list including Nottingham Trent University with 521 new positives, and Exeter (Devon) Pennsylvania and University with 192 new positives.

Birmingham is also in the Top 30 MSOA with Selly Oak, a university student area recording 125 new positives from 4 October to 10 October.

The local restrictions in Birmingham also means Birmingham residents are still unable to mix with anyone outside their own household, in their house and in gardens.

The rise in cases at the university occurs when Birmingham was introduced into Tier two restrictions this week meaning people are banned from socialising in indoor venues such as pubs and bars with people outside their household.

Guidance and advice for students at the university concerned with the current outbreak can be found here.