Image may contain: Clock Tower, Bell Tower, Tower, Building, Architecture

The University of Birmingham has been ranked 79th in the world

It came 14th in the UK

league tables university of birmingham

The University of Birmingham has been named the 79th best university in the world in league tables published today.

The QS World University Rankings consequently placed Birmingham as the 14th best university in Britain.

Birmingham have been placed above other high performing Russel Group Universities such as Nottingham, Leeds, York and Bath.

Birmingham ranks closely behind other British universities such as Sheffield at 75th and Durham at 74th.

The Universities are judged on reputation within the academic community and with employers. Additionally they are judged on academic faculties, citations per faculty and international students.

Birmingham has moved up five places since last years ranking moving from 84th to 79th. The current developments at the University have secured Birmingham a firm spot in the top 100 further education institutions in the world.

Oxford has been ranked first in the UK and fifth in the world with Cambridge following closely behind in second place and sixth in the world.

The full tables can be viewed here.