xpLosION is on Saturday and it’s going to be amazing

It’s the 10th anniversary game

birmingham lions the tab the tab bham the tab birmingham the tab brum university of birmingham UoB Xplosion

This Saturday, the Birmingham Lions take on the Bath Killer Bees (it starts at 4:30pm) in xpLosION 2016. For those of you unaware, every year University of Birmingham Sport (UBSport) hosts the largest sporting event in UK university sport outside of the Oxbridge boat race. Over 3000 people descend on the Bournbrook pitch at the southern edge of campus to see the UoB Lions American Football team take on another Uni in a fierce competition to get an early win in the BUCS calendar.

Lions ecstatic winning xpLosION 2015

Birmingham has never lost xpLosION, but that hasn’t stopped the competition from growing year on year, culminating in this 10th anniversary game with the pressure on to keep the win streak going. Hot off an undefeated season which saw Birmingham crowned National Champions, it is expected that Birmingham should remain undefeated for the 10th year at xpLosION. The Tab spoke to the Lions, who said that it was the home support and the fans from Birmingham cheering them at xpLosION that makes it so special and helps motivate them when the pressure is on to live up to the Birmingham Lion name.

Club President Jack Roberts (#91) recieving BUCS Gold – March 2016

The Tab spoke to President of American Football, Jack Roberts, to hear what he has to say in the run-up to this Saturday’s exhibition. Jack said: “The whole event is quite special for the team; it’s not often we get the opportunity to play in front of 3000 people.

“The whole lead up to xpLosION creates such a buzz on campus and we can’t wait to entertain you all on Saturday night. This year we feel as ready as ever to retain our 100 per cent xpLosION win record, go 2-0 for the season and get one step closer to retaining our National Championship.

“Make sure you check out our Snapchat filter on campus on Friday and then during the match on Saturday, send your best pictures to @BirminghamLions on Twitter to win 2 free Fab tickets.”

Birmingham Pussycats half time performance

Those who have been to xpLosION know that it is more than just a game – it’s a show. Not only does it feature our National Championship American Football team, but also world-class performances from the University of Birmingham Cheerleading Squad (The Birmingham Pussycats) and the Birmingham University Dance Squad (BUDS). After the show there is a fireworks display, which is hands down one of the best displays to be found in Birmingham over this bonfire period.

Wouldn’t be xpLosION without an xpLosION

For those of you worried about being hungry or dying for a pint, it’s all covered. UBSport sets up food stalls, a bar and toilet conveniences. You can also bring your own alcohol and food. There is really no excuse not to head down and get your Saturday night started at xpLosION before you end up in Fab a few hours later. So this Saturday wrap up warm, get the supplies in, bring your flatmates down to Bournbrook at 4pm and get ready for xpLosION’s 10th anniversary. It’s free, it’s fun, it’s ferocious. It’s the best of Birmingham.

Bec Edwards is a leading photographer in British American football and The Tab would like to thank her for her permission for allowing us to use her work throughout our article.

Link to event: https://www.facebook.com/events/2159771460915597/