The best things to do in Brum

You won’t have thought of these

tab tourist UoB visit

Instead of just staring at the library walls, why don’t you explore Birmingham? Everyone needs a break from revision every now and again. Or perhaps you’re just too committed to your degree. Well then, these places are also ideal to visit after you finish your dreaded exams and need to celebrate.

Cadbury World

This is a popular destination for couples who want a cute day out. Rumour has it that your £12.65 ticket not only includes your self-guided exhibition tour through 14 different zones, but you also get your very own pot of melted chocolate with your choice of sprinkles. And if you book a London Midland train ticket you get 30% off your Cadbury World ticket!

Eis Cafe

Who hasn’t heard of their naughty creations? This place will provide the perfect Instagram and Snapchat opportunity. Make your way to Small Heath and grab a towering milkshake, or pretty much any other dessert you could want. You won’t be able to resist! Warning: sugar overload.

Jewellery Quarter

You can find the perfect antiques and jewellery in this wonderful home of shops and auction houses. Specialist jewellers can commission the ideal gift, but if you want to stick to something more familiar, Pandora and Thomas Sabo are among some of the more well known jewellers. Not only is there the opportunity to shop but the museums give you an insight into the world of jewellery making, and more bizarrely, the history of the Newman Brothers Coffin Works. Thrilling!

Grand central and the Bullring

The opening of Grand Central at the end of last year caused quite a stir throughout the city, seeing the £750 million development opened by the Queen herself. If it’s good enough for the Queen it’s good enough for you. Featuring 66 shops, including the biggest John Lewis outside of London, the new station has lots to offer. And right next door is the renowned Bullring promising to give you a great shopping experience. If you want a lazy afternoon to shop and eat out, this is the place for you.

Everyman Cinema

This is not just any cinema. This is an Everyman cinema. For around £10 for a student ticket you can see the best new releases with the comfort of a sofa, with cushions, and a little table for all your cinema treats. And if you’re feeling a little  peckish and want to treat yourself, you can order a full meal and a cocktail straight to your seat.

Birmingham Museum and Arts Gallery

Want to exercise your brain a little? With free entry, the museum and art gallery in Victoria Square provides you with a multitude of exhibitions. The cafe on site and the renovated tea rooms means you can spend those all too common rainy afternoons exploring and relaxing.

Brindleyplace

In the scenic setting of Birmingham’s well-known canals, Brindleyplace features a theatre, health club, art gallery and many restaurants and bars to choose from. It’s the perfect place for any time of the day. The bars are also a great alternative to the repetitive clubs on Broad Street.

National Sea Life Centre 

Celebrating their 20th anniversary this year, the sea life centre holds a host of underwater creatures to discover. If you buy a London Midland train ticket you can get a 2 for 1 voucher for entry to the sea life centre. So there’s really no excuse not to go.

Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park

Located on Pershore road, the Wildlife park is an easy distance to walk. It is home to a wide range of animals including a series of endangered species which the park has in their breeding programme. And if you fall in love with one of their furry creatures you can even volunteer to help out.

The Barber Institute of Fine Arts

A museum and gallery on UOB’s very own campus. Highly neglected by its students, it’s a gem that can’t be ignored! It has a variety of exhibitions and paintings by well-known artists such as Monet and Van Gogh. It  has also held Barber Evening Concerts for the past 70 years. If anything, it is worth taking your parents and grandparents here so that they can appreciate how good UoB really is.

There is much more to Birmingham than Selly Oak and UoB. Make the most of your time here and check out what it really has to offer. This list is just the start.