Skint students paid nearly three pounds less an HOUR working for the Guild

You’ll earn nearly 50 per cent more working for the University than you will for the Guild

Strapped for cash students working for the Guild are being paid nearly three pounds less an hour than students employed by the University.

The huge pay discrepancy is leaving students hundreds of pounds out of pocket each month – a guild employee working a typical 15 hour week will earn £175 less a month than someone doing a similar job with the University.

Despite carrying out a number of jobs almost identical to those offered by the University employer WorkLink, Guild stiffs are failing to pay their student employees the living wage.

Whereas Joe’s Bar and security staff can only expect to earn £6.50 for working shifts that stretch into the early hours of the morning, University staff pocket more than £9 an hour.

Joe’s Bar employees are also “informally” obliged to complete two out of every four Fab shifts, despite signing a zero hours contract.

She’s all for pay equality

Meanwhile WorkLink is fully flexible with its shift work, with students able to opt in-opt out dependent on their academic commitments.

Speaking to The Tab, a number of Joes Bar staff have voiced their dissatisfaction at the pay gap.

One student said: “I think it’s completely unfair how big the pay gap is between the two employers.

“Some students need to work, and that extra £2.50 goes a long way.

“Although our pay has just been raised, it still doesn’t come close to that of worklink.

“I think all students should be paid the same amount.”

Another student added: “The Guild can protest that it’s got to keep its overheads down, if the University can do it, the Guild can do it too.

“The amount of money that is turned over from Fab and other events is enormous, what else do they have to invest that turnover on?

“It’s easy to say ‘go get a university job then’, but it isn’t as easy as that because WorkLink wants people with experience.”

A Guild receptionist agreed: “It’s ridiculous that the Guild of Students – run by students and supposedly for the students – doesn’t pay the living wage yet other employers on campus do.

“I didn’t realise when I got my job I could get more money working elsewhere on campus.

“If I had known, I would have looked at WorkLink placements over working at the Guild.”

Not a happy camp

But other students are indifferent on the matter, including student and WorkLink employee Michael.

He said: “To be honest, I think there’s a valid reason behind the pay gap.

“Students can work for the Guild with no former experience, whereas WorkLink often prefer you to have previously worked.

“It could be seen as unfair. I think there’s a common misconception that the Guild pays well and it is the place to be, but the reality is it’s pretty poorly paid given the hours they’re expecting you to work.

“Considering Joe’s staff work until four in the morning, perhaps they should get more, but then it is their decision to work there.”

In a statement given to The Tab, Poppy Wilkinson, Guild President, said: “WorkLink is independent to the Guild of Students and is run by the University even though it is based in our building.

“Whilst the University do pay the equivalent of the current living wage they are not an official living wage provider.

“Working at the Guild as a student staff member offers flexible working hours, holiday pay during closed periods and training.

“Over half of the current sabbatical officer team were employed at the Guild whilst being students and all thoroughly enjoyed being part of the big student staff community having the ability to meet new people and develop employability skills.”

The University of Birmingham announced in March this year that from August it would be committed to paying this living wage to all staff.

Adam Tickell, vice principle and provost said: “For its part, the University has committed to matching the current rate of the Living Wage for the year from 1 August 2014, and to match the then current level for the year from 1 August 2015.”