Halal scandal forces UoB to u-turn on labelling policy

The University has responded to widespread anger over the scandal; with Halal now being labelled in all applicable Campus restaurants and eateries.

The University is now telling students they are eating Halal meat, after a Tab investigation last week.

Last week uni officials admitted to secretly serving the meat, claiming they didn’t tell students because “there is no legal requirement – we don’t have to.”

But since Thursday signs have been installed in food outlets telling students that some of the meat is Halal.

The University has now changed its policy to provide clear notification and consumer information in all applicable Campus restaurants and eateries.

One of many notices now available across Campus to inform consumers

The U-turn comes after our story provoked the widespread anger and criticism among students and animal rights campaigners.

In response to The Tab’s investigation, earlier last week the University’s Chief Executive Chef Mark Houghton said: “Following your investigation, I have decided to take the issue to our operation managers and catering director, to readdress whether we should label Halal”

One student made their thoughts known

Houghton also made it known to The Tab that the University had made plans to open a Halal Takeaway, following the investigation.

He added that he hoped the new Takeaway would “kick start the process of labelling Halal”, which would also help end the current confusion for customers on whether or not they are purchasing and consuming the meat.

Before Thursday: Halal meat was served across Campus with no labelling

The University has also updated its food services information on its web page- which now features a Halal symbol to identify all applicable restaurants:

The updated web page- with new Halal notification

The University has not however provided any explanation for the policy change, nor a reason for its decision to previously serve unlabelled Halal products.

Although many students have welcomed the policy change, several have raised lingering concerns.

When approached by The Tab for comment, Ben, a 2nd year Biology student said: “I welcome the policy change, however it still doesn’t excuse the fact that it has taken the Tab’s exposure for the University to live up to its ethical duty.”

Despite the policy change, a 3rd year English student stated: “I am still not happy. Even if the University is labelling Halal, I still feel it is unacceptable to use non stun slaughter practices on animals. The University should not be supplying this meat, especially since many Muslims and Halal authorities allow stunned slaughter.”

Several students have reacted indifferently however, including a second year Anthropology student: “I personally don’t see the problem with Halal, any type of slaughter is unpleasant in my opinion. So I am not really bothered whether or not the uni labels Halal products- I’d still eat them.”

The construction of the new Halal takeaway is underway

The University’s policy change has come in the same week that Denmark has officially banned Halal slaughter, joining several other European nations in doing so.

It is likely that publicity from Denmark may prompt further debate in the UK over the current laws on slaughter methods.