Starbucks Customer told ‘Speak English, or get out’

Aberystwyth town is 31 per cent Welsh speaking

Welsh classical soprano Gwawr Edwards has complained on Twitter after overhearing a staff member at Starbucks telling a customer off for ordering coffee in Welsh.

Aberystwyth is 31 per cent Welsh speaking, but it appears the member of staff didn’t understand what they were saying.

Gwawr Edwards told Cambrian News: “I don’t know the person it happened to personally, otherwise I would have made much more of a fuss and taken it on. I hope it was dealt with appropriately.”

The incident is still being investigated by Starbucks.

Second year International Politics student said: “I can’t help but feel angry and frustrated by the story because as someone who speaks the language daily I and people I know have had similar experiences in Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire. Me and my friends don’t understand why people would be surprised to hear Welsh being spoken in a Welsh community in a Welsh county in Wales.”

In response, Starbucks said they were “looking into” it.

They added: “We are committed to creating a warm and welcoming environment for everyone to enjoy in our stores and we are concerned to hear of this customer’s experience,” the spokesperson said. “We have contacted the customer to receive more information.”