Students on the seafront evacuated and moved up to Penbryn

They’re expected to be allowed back later tonight

The university has ordered all students living on the seafront to go to evacuate their accommodation tonight as Storm Imogen continues to batter the Aber coastline.

Onn the advise of Natural Resources Wales and Ceredigion Council, everyone living in halls and houses by the seafront has been told to go to Penbryn for a free meal until the high tide and the storm passes – but they may have to remain in private accommodation for the whole night.

Transport for students has been arranged, with a bus collecting students from Tŷ Gwerin at 19:00.

In an email, the university said: “If you are a student living in University residences on the seafront or in town, please leave your halls once directed to do so by the Residences Team and make your way to Penbryn Reception.

“The Residences team will direct you to the bus service to bring you up to the Penglais Campus. You will not be allowed to re-enter our residences until it is safe to do so.

“Please prepare an overnight bag (e.g. warm clothing, bedding, important documentation and any medicines you may need) and bring this with you.”

It’s this bad at just low tide

Don’t want to leave your cars out for this either

While the university obviously can’t force people living in private seafront accommodation to leave, students living in private accommodation are entitled to a free meal up at Penbryn.

An update on the situation is expected about 21:00, and there is a distinct chance of students having to stay elsewhere overnight.