‘Students Against Censorship’ campaign against Aber’s terrible free speech ranking

‘This is a worrying trend’

Two freshers have launched a campaign to promote free speech after Aberystwyth University was ranked one of the worst universities for censorship in Spiked’s annual rankings.

Spiked described Aber as a “ban-happy” university which “creates an environment that is hostile to free speech”.

The university have banned newspaper including The Express, The Sun and The Daily Star, as well as policed initiatives such as “That’s so Gay” and the infamous cricket team’s t-shirt ban.

In response, first years Ieuan Joy and Jessica Lockwood set up “Students Against Censorship”.

They’ve already managed to arrange a vote to repeal the ban on “offensive” newspapers, which will take place on the 1st of February.

Another ranking we’ve fallen on

Ieuan Joy told The Tab: “This is not just a local issue this is a national one where a small group of people who get offended by different ideas to there own set out to ban said ideas.

“This is a worrying trend that needs to be pushed back.”

“The Students’ Union policy of banning the sale of certain newspapers is something Students Against Censorship feel very strongly about. The fact is, the right to a free press is a pillar in a functioning democracy. Ideas should be protested, not banned.”

Was one shirt really worth banning the entire team? unfair much…

“If people don’t want to read it, then they shouldn’t buy it.

“Students deciding that it has no place on campus by voting with their wallet is fine, but the SU deciding for us that it needs to be of campus is down to a tiny yet vocal group of people.”

In response to the criticism of its free speech policies, SU PresidentLewis Donally said: “The Students’ Union operates a Zero Tolerance policy to provide a safe-space for all students in the Aberystwyth community.

“The policies that have been passed by the student body have not been put in place to manage or restrict freedom of speech, but to continue to provide the foundations on which Aberystwyth has been known as one of the safest places in the country.”