A synopsis and new cast members: Every piece of info we know about Bridgerton season three

‘Penelope returns to London determined to become a new woman with a new independence’

Every single Bridgerton fan has been not-so patiently waiting for season three to release and the Queen Charlotte series only made them thirst for it even more. While a release date hasn’t been announced, Netflix has been teasing people with first look images and everyone has a clear idea of what’s going to go down.

Bridgerton season three is based on Romancing Mr Bridgerton by Julia Quinn, focusing on the love story between Penelope Featherington and Colin Bridgerton, with Netflix skipping over Benedict’s love story. Nicola Coughlan and Luke Newton will reprise their roles once again, but what else is there to know about Bridgerton season three?

From snippets of information from the cast to images from yet to be released episodes, here’s everything we know about Bridgerton season three.

Netflix dropped four first look photos and they are a work of art

via Netflix

During their annual Tudum event, Netflix dropped everything but a trailer and a release date for Bridgerton season three, but they did provide us with some truly jaw-dropping first look photos.

via Netflix

The photos are all of Nicola Coughlan and Luke Newton as Penelope Featherington and Colin Bridgerton, and they just prove the treat we are all in for.

via Netflix

With season three being based on Penelope and Colin’s love story, I can’t begin to imagine how Penelope worms her way out of being Lady Whistledown following the season two finale.

via Netflix

While introducing the new photos during Tudum: A Global Fan Event, Nicola said: “We open our season with the ton’s return from the countryside. Both Colin and Pen have done some growing up. And only time will tell how their friendship will develop.”

Season three is based on the Romancing Mr Bridgerton book and Netflix has revealed the first page of the script

via Netflix

In the aftermath of season two, Penelope is heartbroken after hearing Colin say he would never court her as well as falling out with Eloise after she finds out Penelope is really Lady Whistledown.

During the Tudum event, Nicola assured fans that Penelope is ready for a “scandalous new London season” in the upcoming season.

“Polin stans, I see you!” Nicola said during the Tudum event. “This season, Penelope returns to London determined to become a new woman with a new independence. We cannot wait to take you along for the carriage ride.”

During last year’s Tudum event, Nicola revealed the first page of the Bridgerton season three script, which begins with Lady Whistledown’s narration and oh boy are we in for a treat.

The narration reads: “Dearest gentlereader, we have been apart for far too long. At last, London’s smart set has made its return.

“And so too has this author. As the season begins, the question on everyone’s mind is, of course, which newly minted debutante will shine the brightest?”

via Netflix

The official synopsis for Bridgerton season three reads:

“Penelope Featherington has finally given up on her long-held crush on Colin Bridgerton after hearing his disparaging words about her last season. She has, however, decided it’s time to take a husband, preferably one who will provide her with enough independence to continue her double life as Lady Whistledown, far away from her mother and sisters. But lacking in confidence, Penelope’s attempts on the marriage mart fail spectacularly.

“Meanwhile, Colin has returned from his summer travels with a new look and a serious sense of swagger. But he’s disheartened to realise that Penelope, the one person who always appreciated him as he was, is giving him the cold shoulder. Eager to win back her friendship, Colin offers to mentor Penelope in the ways of confidence to help her find a husband this season. But when his lessons start working a little too well, Colin must grapple with whether his feelings for Penelope are truly just friendly.”

There have been some rumours around the release date of Bridgerton season three

via Netflix

While the release date of Bridgerton season three hasn’t been announced, there has been speculation around when it could possibly be released.

The biggest theory is that season three could drop on Netflix on December 25th, just as the first season was. However, the second season premiered on March 25th 2022, so at least there’s a trend when it comes to the 25th.

There was an alleged leak of the Bridgerton season three release date during the Tudum global event. Screenshots began circulating on social media of various Netflix accounts posting the release date before quickly deleting them. According to the deleted posts, Bridgerton season three could be released in mid December, but this hasn’t been verified by Netflix since the posts were removed

Season three reportedly finished filming in March 2023

The cast and crew began filming Bridgerton season three in July 2022, with Netflix confirming this in a video posted to social media. In March 2023, Nicola and Luke posted a photo celebrating, which many fans assumed marked the end of filming for Bridgerton season three.

Three new cast members will be joining season three

Back in July 2022, it was confirmed three new cast members would be joining the season three cast.

Daniel Francis has joined the cast as Marcus Anderson, “a charismatic presence who lights up any room he enters, attracting the notice of certain matriarchs in the town”. Viewers will recognise Daniel from the latest Harlan Coben series, Stay Close, on Netflix.

Sam Phillips will star as Lord Debling in Bridgerton season three. His characater has been described as “a genial lord with unusual interests”. Despite his “eccentricities”, his wealth and title in the Ton ensures he will have “no shortage of interest” from the single ladies of the season, looking for a husband.

James Phoon was cast as Harry Dankworth. For what Harry “lacks in wit and intelligence, he more than makes up for with serious good looks”. This is James’ first Netflix role.

Phoebe Dynevor will not be returning for season three

via Netflix

Phoebe Dynevor, who portrayed Daphne Bridgerton in seasons one and two, will not be in season three of the show.

When asked if she’d be making a return for the upcoming season, Phoebe said: “Sadly not in season three. Potentially in the future. But season three, I’m just excited to watch as a viewer.”

In an interview with Variey, Phoebe suggested that Daphne’s story was completed. “I did my two seasons. I’ve done what I wanted to do with that character and she had a great arc,” she told the publication.

“If they ask me back in the future, who knows? For now, I am just really enjoying having new experiences and making films and we’ll see what happens.”

Regé-Jean Page will not be reprising role as the Duke of Hastings, which comes as no surprise as he chose not to return following season one. Other actors who won’t be making an appearance in Bridgerton season three include Charithra Chandran, Ruby Barker and Calam Lynch.

The first two seasons of Bridgerton are available to watch on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.