Jess and Sammy talk about their win and what’s next in first interview since Love Island

They’re off on holiday to Asia!

Last night we crowned Jess and Sammy winners of Love Island 2023. It was a very narrow win, and a result which shocked many viewers, but nonetheless they’ve taken the £50k and the crown home with them.

Jess and Sammy have spent the last eight weeks in the villa with no contact to the outside world, purely focused on growing their connection. So now suddenly they’re semi-famous, free of the villa and off home to see all their friends and family. And they’re girlfriend and boyfriend!

So, how do they feel about it all? Here’s everything Jess and Sammy had to say in their first interview since being crowned winners of Love Island 2023.

Love Island 2023 final

via ITV

How do Jess and Sammy feel about winning Love Island 2023?

When asked how it feels to be crowned winner of Love Island, Sammy said it’s “amazing” and “surreal”. Jess described the whole thing as “very positive” and said she is “overwhelmed and happy”.

“When we were stood up there we looked at everyone and thought they were all worthy to win,” Sammy said. “It was hard to work it out. When our names were called it was a shock to the system, but a nice shock. It’s been a very very long journey and I’ve enjoyed every step of the way, the best two months of my life. It’s exciting for us to crack on on the outside.”

‘I’m so grateful to have had this opportunity’

Jess and Sammy on Love Island 2023

via ITV

Reflecting on her time in the villa, Jess said: “I’m so grateful to have had this opportunity. It has been the best. To say I’ve done this it’s amazing. I have learned a lot about myself. Parts of myself and how I have handled situations. I have matured and dealt with arguments. And trusting the process, realising if it’s meant to be it will be. Don’t chase a man, you have to trust in things.”

Sammy added: “It’s been the most enjoyable experience, even now I know it’s over. I want to see friends and family. I will miss it a lot. It’s been unreal. I wouldn’t have changed anything. I have learned a lot about myself. I came in immature and wanted to mess about and have a laugh. To actually meet someone, I’ve matured a lot. I’m now in a relationship and have won the show – it’s made me a man now.”

What’s next for them after Love Island?

Jess said now the villa is over, she feels as though she’s “ready to enjoy the outside world” with Sammy. “It’s been an amazing opportunity and I am grateful to start it and finish it as a winner so very happy,” she said.

It sounds as though they’ve made some extravagant plans for after the villa, with Jess saying they’re off on holiday, and are prioritising that over moving in together. “I feel like we want to go to Far East Asia,” she said. “We definitely want to do that. We’re not in a rush to get a house. We’re both 22. We’re both young and we want to see the world, that’s something I have always wanted to do.”

Sammy added: “For us two it’s just a case of having had an intense two months we don’t want to rush anything. We want to do some travelling, have some fun together and take things as they come. We’re not going to rush anything, we’re very secure with each other.”

Jess and Sammy on Love Island 2023

via ITV

Sammy says he should have gone about some situations differently

When asked if he has any regrets, Sammy said he doesn’t, but he could have handled some situations differently. “For me it’s a case of saying to myself I would be real the whole time,” he said. “To say I have regrets, no I don’t at all. Certain situations could have been better but we were in a different environment and learning how to handle things in that environment.”

Jess added: “There are situations I could have handled better that I look back on and I’m sure that’s the same for Sammy. It has made us stronger. You have to kiss some frogs!”

Love Island: The Reunion airs on Sunday 6th August at 9pm on ITV2 and ITVX. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.