Zayn Malik Call Her Daddy

Zayn Malik says by the time he left One Direction they were all ‘sick of each other’

‘We’d been together every day for five years’

In his first interview in six years, Zayn Malik has revealed a reason as to why he left One Direction in 2015. Zayn features on the latest Call Her Daddy podcast episode and has left no stone unturned.

On March 25th 2015, hearts broke everywhere when it was announced Zayn would be leaving the band that was a part of so many people’s childhoods. Since then, Zayn has gone on to release three studio albums and has started a family of his own with model Gigi Hadid.

The One Direction boys have all been doing their own thing and have excelled in their solo careers, with Harry Styles currently being on a 22 month world tour.

Talking about him leaving the band, Zayn said by the time it happened they were all fairly “sick of each other”.

“We’d been together every day for five years and we got sick of each other if I’m being completely honest,” he told Call Her Daddy host Alexandra Cooper. “I look back on it now in a much fonder light than I would have as I just left.”

via YouTube

Over the years Zayn has publicly spoken about why he chose to leave the band. In his first interview following his departure, he said the boys “kind of knew” the music wasn’t his “cup of tea”.

“I think the boys kind of knew in terms of the music, that wasn’t my cup of tea. They knew that, they were aware of that, always,” he told Fader Magazine. “When I was leaving the band, they obviously didn’t want me to leave, but they couldn’t talk me out of it at that point. I had already made up my mind so I just left.”

Later that year he told Rolling Stone the music One Direction made wasn’t the type of music he would listen to. “That’s not music I would listen to. Would you listen to One Direction at a party with your girl? I wouldn’t. To me, that’s not an insult, that’s me as a 22-year-old man,” he explained. “As much as I was in that band, and I loved everything that we did, that’s not music that I would listen to. I want to make music that I think is cool sh*t. I don’t think that’s too much to ask for.”

For all the latest reality TV and entertainment news and gossip, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook