Fortnite ranked mode

Okay so what actually is the newly announced Ranked mode coming to Fortnite?

I’m gonna get annihilated in this mode I fear

Epic Games has announced a new Ranked mode for Fortnite, and it’s set to release in the recently delayed update that is now expected to drop May 17th. Ranked mode is set to shakeup gameplay going forward as Chapter 4 Season 2 wraps up and Chapter 4 Season 3 begins, but what actually is it? Here’s everything we know so far about how Fortnite Ranked mode is going to work.

Players can toggle it on or off

When the update launches hopefully tomorrow, players will be able to boot up Fortnite and see they have the option to have rank up toggled on or off when playing matches. The whole thing is optional. Ranked will have different rankings for both Zero Build and regular Battle Royale. Zero Build will only have Ranked for Duos, according to the Fortnite website. Regular Battle Royale has it for Solos, Duos and Squads. No Trios.

Ranked mode will begin with Season Zero, and Season Zero goes from now until the end of Chapter 4 Season 3 – the next season. Your starting position in Ranked mode will depend on the results of your previous games and your initial Ranked Zero Build or Ranked Battle Royale match.

After you play one game of Fortnite Ranked mode, you’ll be able to see your starting ranking. It also shows in the lobby.

How it works

There will be a bar players can see that shows how far off you are from progressing up the ranking or regressing down to the one before. Various aspects from how you did in a match affect the bar:

• Where you place in a match
  • How many eliminations you get, or your team if you’re in squads or duos
  • Late match eliminations count more
  • The rank of the players you eliminate plays a factor

Ranked is open to players of all skills. If you’ve never played Fortnite before, you’ll apparently have to complete an outlast 500 players quest before you can play the Ranked mode.

The Ranks

The Ranks in Ranked mode will be Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Elite, Champion and Unreal. The final three have one level, but the first five all have three levels within each rank. When you eventually get to Unreal rank, you’ll be able to see your place on a worldwide leaderboard.

@harrisonjbrock

Related stories recommended by this writer:

• A full rundown of everything new in this year’s annual Star Wars Fortnite update

• The definitive ranking of all Mario Kart characters, based on nothing but vibes

• Every expansion pack for The Sims 4 ranked, including the brand new Growing Together