Confirmed: First day of the next wave of UCU strikes is just two weeks away

The union will be striking for 18 days before Easter

The UCU has announced the first official date of the 18 days the union will be striking – and it’s in two weeks time.

Last week, the UCU announced it will be striking for 18 days in February and March, as staff are in an ongoing campaign for better pay and pensions, among other things.

Now, the union has confirmed the strikes will begin on Wednesday, 1st February – just two weeks away.

The dates for the further 17 days of strikes are to be announced next week.

We have already seen three days of strikes at almost every university in the country before Christmas of this academic year, as well as up to 18 days of strike action at over 140 universities last academic year. A Tab investigation this summer found Russell Group unis saved £11million in withheld pay whilst lecturers were on strike last university year.

The union says “the clock is ticking” for university bosses to avoid widespread disruption this year.

They are campaigning for a meaningful pay rise to ease the cost of living crisis, the ending of use of insecure contracts, and are demanding unis revoke cuts to pensions and restore benefits.

UCU general secretary Jo Grady said: “Whilst the cost-of-living crisis rages, university vice-chancellors are dragging their feet and refusing to use the vast wealth in the sector to address over a decade of falling pay, rampant casualisation and massive pension cuts.

“On 1 February, 70,000 university staff will walk out alongside fellow trade unions and hundreds of thousands of other workers to demand their fair share.

“UCU remains committed to reaching a negotiated settlement, but if university employers don’t get serious and fast, more strike action fill follow in February and March.”

Featured image via Vuk Valcic/ZUMA Press Wire/Shutterstock