A cannabis farm worth £40,000 has been found in Tang Hall in York

Police found a ‘highly professional and sophisticated’ set up inside the property

A cannabis farm in Tang Hall, York, believed to be worth £40,000 has been dismantled by police officers following reports of suspicious activity.

Reported intelligence led officers to the house on Sixth Avenue where they executed a warrant on Thursday 23 March.

Inside they found a “highly professional and sophisticated” set up that they believe to have been used by an organised crime gang to produce several crops of cannabis over time.

The house’s electricity supply had been diverted underground in order to bypass the meter, which North Yorkshire Police have said presented a high risk of fire and a serious danger to the people who were tampering with it.

A man, believed to be a part of an organised crime group, was arrested at the scene and taken into custody. He has since been charged with cannabis production and is due to appear in court.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Simpson of the North Yorkshire Police said: “Cannabis production is extremely harmful to our communities and its production is often used to fund criminal gangs who are involved in serious organised crime such as human trafficking, sexual exploitation and the distribution of class A drugs such as cocaine and heroin.

“It won’t be tolerated and we urge members of our communities to report any suspicious activity in their neighbourhood. We also urge landlords to be extra cautious when they rent out properties. The damage caused to properties by grows can be extensive and very expensive to repair.”

North Yorkshire Police have released a list of signs to look out for which may indicate the presence of a cannabis farm, and they have issued a plea to residents to report any suspicious activity in their neighbourhood.

You can pass information to the police on 101 or online here or, if you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

If you feel threatened or in danger, always call 999.