York is now the best uni in the Yorkshire and Humber area

And the 18th best University in the UK

The University of York has been ranked the 18th best UK uni in the Complete University Guide rankings for 2022. The league table ranks 130 UK Universities, with York moving up four places from the 2021 rankings.

The new position in the league table is a jump from the former 22nd position, with York taking the top spot for the best uni in the Yorkshire area.

80 per cent of students were both satisfied with their course and teaching of the uni, giving it an overall score of 78 per cent. Graduate prospects were also ranked at 80 per cent.

Certain York degree courses ranked very highly in the new league tables for UK subject specific rankings, with nine subjects ranking in the top ten. York’s English course was ranked seventh best in the UK, with Italian taking the number three slot just below Oxford and Cambridge.

York’s Social Work course also scored highly, ranking fourth in the UK, with an impressive 98 per cent overall score.

Subject ranks are based on subject specific teaching satisfaction, course satisfaction, feedback satisfaction, student to staff ratios, spend per student, average entry tariff, and career after 15 months.

The report praised York on: “Outstanding, inspirational teaching delivered by leading academics who bring expertise and passion for their subjects into their teaching.”

York’s collegiate system was also commended, stating: “A diverse community of students from over 150 countries and a collegiate home on campus creates an inclusive environment that offers a lifelong global network.”

Special mention was also given to York’s employability programme, which was described as “award-winning” offering “all students access to volunteering, internships and study abroad options to help build their career.”