University of York student areas see decrease in Covid rates

Some areas have seen cases drop by 54 per cent

University of York student areas have seen a decrease in Covid rates, according to government data, published by YorkMix.

In the week of 21st-28th October, popular student areas such as Fulford, Heslington and the University have seen cases drop by 54.2 per cent, with 64 cases less than the week before. The area of Tang Hall which is also popular with students, has seen cases down by 23 (-59 per cent).

Cases at both the University of York and York St John are also decreasing. At the University of York, 87 students are currently isolating due to a positive Covid-19 test, which is down by 24 since Friday 30th October. At York St John, 18 students are self-isolating due to a positive test on Sunday, which is down by 16 since Friday 30th October.

Although University of York student areas have seen a decrease in Covid rates, cases in York are still on the rise, with a further 54 coronavirus cases confirmed on Monday 2nd November.

Uni of York students received an email yesterday from Vice-Chancellor Charlie Jeffery and the Students’ Union which said: “While universities across the UK have experienced surges in Covid-19 confirmed cases which also caused many other students to need to self-isolate, those numbers are now coming down across the university sector, often quite rapidly.

“This is the pattern we have seen in York and is thanks to the responsible way that students have responded to the situation.”

It also went on to say: “Students across the country have endured a lot this year as their school and university education has been disrupted by Covid-19.

“Against that background, we reject the narrative that has played out in some parts of the media that portrays students as irresponsible. Our daily experience of life at York shows a community of students who are creative, constructive and deeply committed to their education.”

You can view the graph provided by YorkMix here.

Relates stories recommended by this writer:

University of York moves majority of teaching online

Students isolating at York told to wait in their rooms in the event of a fire alarm

A York intern continued to work on campus after pleading guilty to rape