Greg’s Place cost almost £700,000

Its named after Greg Dyke not your favourite chain of bakeries

You’ve probably all walked past it. Last year it was a big grey slab of concrete masquerading under the name of Vanbrugh Piazza. This year it’s a slightly less grey slab of concrete named Greg’s Place, after former chancellor Greg Dyke (who knew). But how much does planting some grass and adding in a never to be used danger seat overlooking the goose poo infested lake cost?

Turns out these things are pretty expensive.

In an FOI conducted by The Tab, we can confirm that the cost of Greg’s Place was a staggering £683,000.

This seems rather a lot. Now, students are well known for their responsible purchases so let’s put this into perspective, what could we buy with all that dollar?

25 Bachelor Degrees

We could all do with less crippling debt.

5,691 months of First year rent

Money that could be well spent on cheeky VKs in Kuda or some new chinos for Revs #squad photos.

136,600 packs of condoms

For any of those idiots lacking the free Tab merchandise (safe sex people).

13,938 next day trains to London

Ever fancied a last minute Oxford Street shopping trip or a surprise meal with the parents?

2,008 places on package holidays to Spain

For that sun-filled holiday with the ladz you’ve always dreamed of.

3 Aston Martin Vanquish Volantes

Apparently these are fancy cars that people want.

1,267 iPhone 6Ss

For when the iPhone 4 is just not quite up-to-date enough and you can’t afford that upgrade.

45,533 litres of Smirnoff

Can you imagine the carnage?

76,312 Nandos chicken burgers with 2 sides

That would sort out all future dates from now to eternity.

91,066 cocktails in Evil Eye

£7.50 for a drink is something the university should subsidise.

843,209 packs of supernoodles

A wonderful gourmet meal for one or “with your favourite curry as a tasty alternative to rice.”

You have to admit, Greg’s Place feels slightly like that drunk ASOS purchase you made at 4am and woke up regretting. But you never know. In the balmy York summer it may become the place “on which performance, art, events and student enterprise will be showcased and allowed to flourish.”