Warwick Senate House now stocking free personal attack alarms

Their provision is part of a wider campaign tackling student safety

The University of Warwick’s Senate House has been stocked with free personal attack alarms. They have been paid for and provided by the SU, thanks to the Women’s Student Officer, Amara Okoye.

The news was announced on a post shared to Instagram, stating that the alarms were available to any student who required one, on a one-per-student basis.

Speaking to The Warwick Tab, Amara explained that the provision of the safety alarms forms part of a wider campaign to ensure that students feel safe on campus, alongside her safer campus street lighting campaign.

The news was announced on the official Warwick SU Women’s Officer Instagram account

She said: “The alarms provide the perception of safety as we tackle, alongside campaigners, systematic changes needed to ensure campus is truly safe.

“Credit must be given to the campaigns team within the SU, particularly the campaigns and liberation advisor who has been an integral part of most campaigns run within the SU & his lead and support is the main reason campaigns are successfully run.”

She also confirmed that the university would be following the SU’s lead in the next academic year, explaining, “The university, following the collective demands from Protect Warwick Women and other organising groups on campus, have committed to joining the SU in providing personal alarms. I’ve been in communication with them and they’ve confirmed they are in the process of ordering one for all student accommodations and leftovers for other students to collect. I have provided them with the suppliers the SU are using.