Image may contain: Smile, Portrait, Face, Room, Indoors, Classroom, Person, People, Human

Warwick University’s Poker Society have won the Goliath University League!

WPS have won after almost three months of competition

On the 17th of June Warwick University's Poker Society won the Goliath University League. The WPS has consistently been on the top of the leaderboard throughout this competition.

As a result, twenty members of the society will receive entries into the 2018 Goliath tournament (worth £125 each), £1000 for expenses, six twin rooms at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel at the Ricoh Arena for two nights, as well as the chance to win over £100,000.

However, there position has not always been secure, with Oscar Perche the current WPS President cautioning that "DMU, UCLAN, York, and Bristol can still dislodge us from 1st."

Eventually, Warwick came out on top with a staggering 1235 points, crushing the second place finishers (DMU) by an impressive 265 points.

Five out of the nine players on the final table were Warwick students, who devastated the field, snatching the top three places, which firmly secured an additional 240 points and a first place finish.

Cam Warwicker, the General Exec of WPS, stated that "it became clearer and clearer that we were the favourites to win the competition, we just had to focus on keeping our momentum and incentivise as many people as possible to play every week."

Image may contain: Vegetation, Plant, Flora, Bush, Hair, Afro Hairstyle, Wall Clock, Clock, Person, People, Human

Oscar Perche, President of the Warwick Poker Society.

Oscar Perche provided a comment on his thoughts about Warwick Poker Society's big win, stating that he is "absolutely thrilled with the results of the league" and that it is a "huge achievement" for the society. Oscar concluded that ,"I'm confident we will have a few deep runs in the future", not only as a result of the tournament but also due to the quality of the individuals at the society, being far "better than the average player."

Image may contain: Person, People, Human, Game, Gambling

The Goliath Tournament will take place at the Grosvenor Casino, in Coventry, on the 26th of July and we will all be waiting patiently and excitedly for the up and coming result.

For more information visit the Warwick Poker Society's web page.