Exact plans for four weeks of staff strikes at Warwick released

What exactly are we paying £9000 for again?

Hide Images

The University of Warwick will be going on strike for four weeks from 22nd February. Warwick is one of 61 UK universities that have agreed to strike action due to an ongoing dispute over staff pensions.

Strikes will take place over a four week period, encompassing a total of fourteen days. The dates for the strike are as follows:

Week 7: Thursday 22nd, Friday 23rd February

Week 8: Monday 26th, Tuesday 27th, Wednesday 28th February

Week 9: Monday 5th, Tuesday 6th, Wednesday 7th, Thursday 8th March

Week 10: Monday 12th-Friday 16th March (whole week)

The strike will affect students whose lecturers are part of the University and College Union (UCU) and have a pension scheme in the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS).

Final year history student Lydia Riding commented on the matter, "I don't really know much about the details of the strike but I hope that we will be informed by our tutors if and how it will impact us, especially as it is occurring at such a crucial teaching time."

Warwick's Vice Chancellor Stuart Croft has spoken out on the proposed pension changes, criticising a “conservative approach”. He called for "alternative, more innovative solutions”, highlighting the hugely damaging impact that ending the defined benefit scheme would have on both universities and their staff.

Warwick University told The Tab: "As on previous occasions when there has been national industrial action the University will be focusing considerable effort and contingency planning to minimise any impact that such industrial action may have on students."