How to speak fluent ‘Warwick’

There’s so much more to it than purple and circle

If it’s your second week at Warwick and you’re feeling a little out of your depth with all the chat going around then relax, we have you covered.

Here’s a handy dictionary of all the Warwick slang you’re gonna need to survive in this crazy place we call campus.

Welcome to Warwick

Chat

It’s essentially banter: you either have good chat or shit chat. It’s hard to explain how to have good chat, it’s innate, it’s a part of your soul, something no amount of practice will ever change.

If you’re lucky enough to have good chat you’ll successfully pull at POP, if you don’t then you may end up crying into your purple.

Purple

This is the cider and beer mixture you will be forced to down at circle every Wednesday night, the same mixture you may see reappear in your Rootes toilet the following Thursday morning.

It’s sickly sweet and fizzy, so don’t be surprised when you struggle to take more than two sips in Freshers’, but don’t fear, give it a term and you’ll drink the stuff like it’s water.

Halfway through and circle hasn’t even started yet

Circle

On your open day you were probably told we sit in a circle and play games with your sports team. How pleasant, right?

Wrong. Circle is the ritual of humiliation amongst all your friends. Standing up to down pints, being forced to sing songs and having your sexual stories exposed in front of the whole team in never-have-I ever becomes a weekly occurrence and something you just love to hate.

Chirpse

Chirpsing is chatting someone up, flirting with someone if you will. I mean realistically your mates will just apply it to anytime you talk to another human of a gender you find sexually attractive and then mutter “chirpse, chirpse, chirpse” just to make the two of you feel uncomfortable.

Smack

Normally this is the class-A drug, but in Warwick it’s the best/worst club around. The walls are covered in obscenities and the downstairs is hotter than the centre of the sun. It’s really great, you’ll love it.

This is the inaccurate height chart you will pose in front of at every Smack trip

Pull

I mean this is pretty basic, hardly Warwick code, but pulling means getting with someone. Usually this will occur on a Wednesday night in POP – everyone’s on the pull there.

Kelsey’s

It’s like a pub but it isn’t, it’s like a bar but it isn’t. They’ve recently done it up and now apparently it’s a nightclub too. We’re not convinced. It’s sort of crappy but we all love it and at least they serve the Eliminator.

Downstairs Kelsey’s: Where cirlces go to die

Eliminator

A fluorescent green drink people pretend to like, it contains an entire carton of orange juice to hide the taste of the various mixes of alcohol it contains. You have to try it at least once but be warned, they don’t call it the Eliminator for nothing.

Any

Rugby slang, this is essentially a rugby swear word. They can’t swear in their circle so instead they say any – it’s odd but you’ll soon get used to your flatmates saying “I have a 9am tomorrow, any!”

POP

The amazing night out that happens on a Wednesday night after Circle. Everyone piles into the copper rooms and listens to cheesy music played by the amazing Disco Dave

Disco Dave

Man. Myth. Legend. See image below for details.

The only man brave enough to play four Taylor Swift songs in a row

Tour

Every club, society and subject seems to have its own tour and so you can go pretty much anywhere in the world to get smashed with your friends.

Ski tour is probably the most popular with hundreds of students going every year to drink beer and try and not break their limbs as they ski hungover.

Pres

Where you go before a night out, you may pre in a kitchen, in someone’s house or out on the piazza, but just do us all a favour and never call it “prinking.”

So much vodka and squash

Gary

A person that someone from the rugby team has pulled. Note that if you pull multiple members of the men’s rugby team you will become a “Club Gary.”

Kimmer

Another rugby term (they create a lot of Warwick slang, alright). Legend has it that a few years ago, someone from the club went out with a girl named Kim and she was absolutely horrible. So the members of the club started an inside joke by using her name as an insult, to the point where ‘Kimmer’ eventually became an actual word.

You can also be a GAK, which we think abbreviates to Grade A Kimmer.

GOIFO

Get on it for once. AKA don’t be boring.

Pint Dodger

A Pint Dodger is someone who tries to get away with not drinking in circle, probably because they don’t want to violently throw up purple all over the floor of Altoria.

TBar

This stands for The Terrace Bar which is in the SU. Note that calling it TBar does not make it any less shit.

There’s loads more stuff that’ll only make sense to a Warwick student but you’re only new, we don’t want to make you run before you can walk.