I’m so poor I have to sit outside the Apple store in town to do my work

Warwick Erasmus funding cock-up leaves students penniless

Warwick students abroad are unable to pay their bills and face possible eviction from their houses after Student Funding failed to pay their Erasmus money on time.

Some students have been affected so badly they’re suffering from panic attacks.

They were told to expect the cash by late September but eight weeks on, they have only just been told that they won’t get the money until December 5th.

Europe isn’t always as fun as it sounds

With no support from the university, they are penniless and left to struggle alone on their year abroad.

Erasmus student Kerry Hanley said Warwick hasn’t helped pay their bills, despite other universities supporting their students in Europe.

“Other unis have given money out of their own pocket to their students” said Kerry, but Warwick students have so far been refused any help from Warwick Student Funding.

It has left her struggling to pay her bills.

“I’m literally so poor I haven’t been able to get wifi in my apartment yet,” she said.

“I have to sit outside the Apple store in town to do my work.”

Kerry in happier times

Lack of funding is not the only problem Erasmus students have been dealing with. They also face the possibility of being unable to live on campus on their return to Warwick and are struggling to find alternative off-campus accommodation as the uni attempts to accommodate incoming Freshers.

Jackie Lockinger, studying in Germany, said that if it wasn’t for her bursary she would be unable to pay her rent and would have faced eviction: “I would be kicked out next month out of my house because I have no means otherwise of paying my rent,” she said.

“I am so unhappy with the situation. I had a panic attack in September because I was so stressed.”

Years abroad are more fun when you have cash

Olivia McLaughlin, studying in France, said: “I have been unable to pay rent and my landlords are getting pissed”.

In an email, The Study Abroad Team told their students: “Following confirmation from the British council that Erasmus grant payments may not be received until early January, the University of Warwick has authorised payment of the Erasmus grants from internal University funds until the receipt of the external Erasmus funds have been received from the British Council.

“All students… will receive their grant allocation by 5th December 2014.”