Living in Bedford is so much better than it’s made out to be

We’re more than just a fancy Luton

Not everyone has heard of the little town of Bedford, the seasoned capital of Bedfordshire. Geographically, it can be described as “not quite Milton Keynes” or “on the way to Cambridge.” However, my hometown deserves a far better reputation, as you’d be hard – pressed to find a town with a healthier mix of history, culture and inherent charm.

Sure, we’ve had some shit times but it’s getting better 

Now admittedly, Bedford has had issues which can’t simply be brushed under the carpet. In the not-so distant past of 2007, Bedford and it’s surrounding area was voted to have the worst police force in the entire country and crime in the streets had sky-rocketed. Petty crimes and gang violence were on the rise and my 10 year old self often had to walk in large groups in order to get to my primary school without issue. But, in the present, a new police commissioner and a directly elected mayor, Dave Hodgson, have seen the town restored to the safe environment it once was with the area flourishing as a result.

Some parts of the centre have been left behind

We’re really multicultural 

Now this is an area which makes Bedford truly unique. It all started with bricks. Nope, that’s not an acronym for anything, I’m really talking about those fun rectangles of hardened clay which make up walls. Basically, Bedford had a rapidly expanding brick – related industry, so the companies in charge looked abroad to hire cheap labour. Their main port of call was Italy and the Men and Women they shipped over brought with them large families who made the area their home. The Italian way of life has fused itself within the very heart of the city – For example, in 2006 when their national football team won the world cup, Italians hopped in the cars and drove around the Goldington area beeping their horns late into the night. I also used to get my regular short back and sides from a bubbly Italian barber shop called Enzo’s.

There is also a great Sikh community, once again seeing its origins intrinsically linked with the money – savvy brick corporations. You would be hard pressed to walk anywhere in Bedford without being imbued with a healthy dosage of different cultures – take the Guru Nanak Gurdwara in Queens Park.

Impressive no?

We’ve got the Bedford Blues

We may not be the best, but boy do we try. Bedford Blues are probably our main attraction on this front, with the Rugby Union team currently playing in the RFU Championship. Their ground, Goldington Road was quite literally around the corner from my old house and my dad took me a few times when I was a young tyke. Needless to say, I didn’t develop an appetite for the sport, but I can still remember the raucous atmosphere of the ground. Bedford Town, the resident football club are not doing quite as well unfortunately, sitting pretty in the 11th tier of English football. Onwards and upwards in their case.

And there’s Bedford Rowing Club

But on a more personal note, the most important sporting location in Bedford for me has got to be Bedford Rowing Club. Rowing you ask? Well you see, its not the rapid paddling that interests me but the fact it was where my parents met each other, making its importance tantamount for me. It also hosts the Bedford regatta, which was always a fun day out during the summer.

Bedford Rowing Club – My Mum drove for an hour to get this photo. What a hero.

WE. ARE. NOTHING. LIKE. LUTON!

There a few things more vexing for a Bedfordian then to be compared to Luton. I admit, we are in many similar to our county rivals but for one key difference.

We get along.

What does Luton have? Racial hatred, barely – legal protesting and an accessible, but what I’m sure is a very loud airport! With Bedford, you can at least enjoy a little bit of daytime strolling before the nocturnal stabbings begin.

Classic Luton – actually, in fairness, nobody like the EDL

It’s great for shopping

One genuinely redeeming quality of the town is the Centre and the Debenhams which sits at its head – the shops’ been there longer then I’ve been alive. The first thing you’ll be faced with (Pun – intended) is the statue known by my drunken self as shiny – two face (again cripplingly funny). See the photo below for a proper explanation. Anyway, despite a difficult economic period, the high street is slowly returning to its very best. I was pleasantly surprised to see Waterstones looking more like a nightclub at 2pm then a home to literature on my last visit. The out of town retail park, which may have been more of hindrance to local shops, is also ready to provide for any of your general needs; as long as its shoes or sportswear.

Can you spot the mystery statue? Nightmares await

The nightlife isn’t anything to shout about but you’ll always have a good one

Pretty simple stuff here. Go in at least a group of five and make sure you check out HiFi club.