Girls warned to stay safe when jumping into cabs after nights out

Two girls were attacked in 24 hours

Shady cabbies are to blame for two sexual assaults on unsuspecting girls in just 24 hours.

Girls have been warned by police to stay safe after nights out and keep clear of unlicensed taxis.

Two females in the space of 24 hours have been sexually assaulted by taxi drivers. Police believe the assaults may be linked.

The first attack took place on 21 March just after midnight at Greyfriar Gate, near Ocean, when the woman was travelling alone under the influence of alcohol.

The assaults did not occur on Carnage

The second happened the following day when another woman got into a taxi in Goldsmith Street and was assaulted by the driver. She was also alone and had also been drinking.

Police urge women to pre-book taxis at night and avoid getting into unlicensed taxis.

Det Insp Pete Quinn has said: “In both incidents women thought they were safely travelling home from a night out but that turned out not to be the case.

“We are conducting our enquiries around unlicensed taxis and would urge people to be aware of the dangers of using them.”

He also recommended that people check the identification of a taxi before getting into it.

Nottingham Cars and Trent have organised an emergency taxi fare service so students can get a taxi home safely even if they do not have the money on them.

The union will pay the taxi fare at the time and will settle the bill with the student within a week.

To use this service ring Nottingham Cars on 01159 700 700 and ask to use the emergency taxi fare service.

Have you been affected by un-licenced taxis? Email [email protected]