Second years left dripping after water pours through ceiling housing disaster

‘It was like a horror movie’

A hapless house of five returned from a night out to find water cascading through the ceiling and walls.

The student house on Blue Coat Close flooded due to a burst water tank early on Sunday morning.

The housemates came home from a party at 5am and the last thing they were expecting was to stand outside their front door and watch water oozing from cracks in the brickwork.

Inside the house the lights were flickering and there was water pouring from the ceilings of the bathroom, the stairwell and two of the bedrooms.

Adam Gower, a second year Economics, Banking and Finance student who currently lives at the property, was horrified.

He said: “It was like a horror movie. We all had our phone lights out because the lights wouldn’t stop flickering.”

The students said they informed their landlord straight away but he took over a day to get the issue sorted.

Adam said: “Our landlord only got on to sorting the house out once we sent the letting agents a demanding letter.

“Even then we were left without water for over a day and had no hot water until the second day. We weren’t offered any temporary accommodation or compensation and didn’t receive any form of apology from him until Monday.”

The property’s landlord told us the rooms were fine but the photos tell a different story.

Sport and Education second year Matt Codrington also lives in the house of horror and said: “It’s unbelievable how we have been treated in this situation. The lack of urgency was a joke.”

Adam advises those searching for student houses to go through a letting agency and not a landlord.

The soggy situation has since been sorted.