Greedy Gorman trousered £623,000 last year as vice-chancellor (nearly FIVE times more than the Prime Minister)

He was the highest paid vice-chancellor in the country last year

Fat cat vice-chancellor Neil Gorman pocketed a staggering £623,000 last year, including £250,000 in bonuses — making him the highest paid VC in the country. 

Laughing Neil trousered nearly five times more than Prime Minister David Cameron, who scrapes a paltry wage in comparison of £142,500.

He also claims a whopping £11,484 in expenses and spent £5600 on swanky hotels in 2013 to ’14, according to a new report.

Stats from a report by the University and College Union claim Neil had a 70 per cent pay rise in his final year as VC.

But Trent deny this and said he only had a two per cent increase and received the rest of his cash from a five year bonus scheme when he stepped down last August.

It was this time last year when the ‘bully boy’ VC threatened striking lecturers with a pay cut.

Sue Davis, regional official at the UCU, said: “This report lifts the lid on the inconsistent and arbitrary nature of senior pay and perks in our universities, and shines a light on the murky world of the shadowy remuneration committees who sign off these deals.

“Students and taxpayers have a right to know why some vice-chancellors are enjoying such large pay increases and expense accounts.

“We need a far more transparent system that allows for proper scrutiny of spending at the top and the rationale behind pay rises.”

Third year, Richard Miah is not shocked by this recent revelation.

He said: “I’m not remotely surprised. Sadly, I don’t actually blame him for his heinous greed. It’s the apathy from us as students which has led to Mr Gorman’s public theft. Because that’s what it is: theft.”

Sir David Greenaway, VC at Nottingham, was only paid £374,000 a year but he was still 15th on the list of highest paid vice-chancellors at universities in the country.

It’s tough out there…