Alcohol abuse is ‘absolutely massive’ and we’re to blame

It’s all our fault

Killjoy experts are blaming us for the massive cost of alcohol abuse in Notts. 

Alcohol abuse is costing the health service in Nottingham more than £55 million a year and shockingly we are to blame.

The city’s hospitals have seen an increase in accident and emergency problems and inpatient appointments caused by excessive drinking.

We don’t know what you’re talking about

Experts believe the problem in Nottingham is purely down to the amount of students and the fact that the city is being seen as a party capital.

Alcohol Concern, a charity dedicated to working with alcohol misuse released a report which measured 20,147 hospital trips in 2013 as a result of alcohol, costing £55.1 million in total.

A spokesperson from Alcohol Problems Advisory Service said that the problem in Nottingham is “absolutely massive”.

“It always has been a problem in Nottingham,” he said. “It’s associated with a number of things; deprivation, high numbers of young people, particularly students, and traditionally Nottingham has always been a party town.

“People travel here from a long way away to have a good night out and inevitably alcohol is a part of that.”

Third year student Jordan Barrows doesn’t think students should be blamed though. “It’s unfair to put the whole blame on students. Yes we like a drink but I bet some of the admissions are locals from Nottingham as well.”

“It’s also just the minority of students that get taken to hospital because of alcohol, yet the whole population of Nottingham students are being tarnished.”

Some city hospitals are now employing specialist nurses to deal with these patients and find better ways for them to be helped.