Meet the players: ‘He gets smashed, bites people then disappears into the night every night out. Without fail.’

We’ve caught up with some of the biggest teams at Trent and asked them why you should be joining them.

Trent’s teams are tying up their shoe laces, stretching their muscles and preparing for the season ahead.

We spoke to the biggest teams at NTU and asked what they’d been up to and their hopes for the season ahead.

Here are the boys…

Joe Sullivan – Tennis

Tennis president, Coaching and Sport Science, 3rd Year

What makes you the best team at uni:

Because we play indoors so we don’t get rained on ! Also none of our teams finished below 2nd last year including a Mens promotion into the top division.
Best moment from last years season/tour:

‘The Steam Room’ after every home game we use the pool facilities at David Lloyd. So us 5 lads go into the steam room, naturally can’t see anything due to the steam. So we sit down and must have been talking for a good 5 minutes. Then one of the lads asked why the floor was so wet ? from the corner of the room a voice bellowed ‘ Because I’ve just urinated’ then a elderly overweight gentleman got up walked past us and left.

Who do we need to look out for on your team and why?:

Ted Disley Stevens, he really made the dick of the week award his own due to making comments or acting before thinking. But it doesn’t stop him being Mr Trent Tennis, never misses training or a match, lives in his Trent Top and even performed the Ice Bucket Challenge in his playing shirt.This led to him gaining 2nd Team Captaincy this year. Hero.

Dave Jagger – Rugby League

Broadcast Journalism, 3rd year

What makes you the best team at uni?

We are the only male team who play in their sport’s premier division, and dish out annual pastings to Uni of at Varsity.
What is the funniest or memorable moment from last season/tour?

Memorable – beating established premier league side St Mary’s 29-28 at their place after being about 18-0 down.

Who is the one to look out for in your club (and why)?:

Ben Wombwell – fully recovered from a broken hand that spoilt his first season with us, he’s a fast, strong centre who will be pushing for a first team spot. Can be usually be found in Stealth and is the proud owner the worst haircut at NTU.

Matt Nicholson – Athletics

Broadcast Journalism, 3rd year

Why is your team the best?

Athletics is the best club because it doesn’t matter if you are an international athlete or a complete beginner we cater and support everyone.

We provide volunteers and raise money for John Van Geest every year at RunNTU. We are one of the fastest growing teams at Trent, nominated for 4 sports ball awards last year and are looking to build on that this year with more events, training sessions and socials than ever before.

What’s the funniest or most memorable memory from last season/tour?

Tough one, our Freshers were always quite funny, one called Joel drank a pint from a Wellington boot and another called Mikey would always buy prawn sandwiches on nights out. Bit weird.

Who is the one to look out for and why?

Rob Needham, a scholar and 800m athlete, entering his 3rd year. Rob took a Silver in this years BUCS Indoor champs before finishing 4th in BUCS Outdoors. He ended his year representing England at the Loughborough International and reduced his PB by nearly 3 seconds to 1:48.19.

James McArthur – Rowing

What makes you the best team?

think it’s without doubt the people you meet whilst being a part of the boat club, when you spend so much time with the same group of people, freezing cold 6am training, brutal gym sessions you kind of form a special relationships with the guys you share those experiences with, it’s quite hard to describe but ask anyone that’s rowed and they’ll tell you the same.

We’re also one of the largest clubs at NTU, you don’t need to have any particular experience to come and give rowing a try many of our top athletes learned to row at Trent, all we ask is that you throw yourself into it! Our summer formals are the stuff of legend.

What’s the most memorable moment of this years season/tour?

Has to be The Eights Head of The River Race in London, we were on course to break the club record for the highest finish, we were on the water ready to race but never got the chance. Race marshals confirmed our worst fears the race had been abandoned due to the conditions months of brutal training were now in vein.

All in all we were on the water for well over three hours the row back was pretty treacherous and it was only when we returned to Putney embankment that we realised just how bad it was, a number of the top crews had sank due to the volume of water they’d taken and it was lucky everyone got off the water in one piece.

We were determined to make something of the day so on the coach home we had a few drinks gathered towards the back like you do and made the best of the situation, nothing particularly spectacular I’m sure there’s been countless ‘back of the bus stories’ on The Tab so I won’t go into too much detail but what made it slightly unusual was that three Uni of guys were on board so I’m sure you can imagine what how that played out.

It it was pretty good natured from both sides. Although there was one other particularly memorable moment, an Ocean Wednesday that involved a lot of unicorns and a lot of glitter.

Who is the one to look out for in your team?

Going to have to be Edd Maryon, a particularly promising young sculler, he won the B final at BUCS last year in the single, not only that he’s got great hair, great game, an extensive trainer collection and has even been compared to a better version of myself (he’s also a really nice guy).

Mike Paul – Ultimate Frisbee

Position: Midfield/Handler, 2nd year, History

Why are you the best team?: The mix of a new and incredibly intense sport and how genuinely nice the team is. We’re also one of the few sports in BUCS that harbours mixed gender teams and our banter levels are something else.

What’s the most memorable moment of this years season/tour?

Our JTM’s (Junior Team Member) hugely impressive ​chunder streak throughout the year.

Who is the one to look out for your team and why?

George Vernon. He gets smashed, bites people then disappears into the night every night out. Without fail.

John Sandy Hindmarsh – Swim

History, 2nd year

What makes you the best sports team?

Getting to oggle hot babes in swim suits and fit gents in speedos. But on serious note we compete in a number of swimming competitions for various levels of swimming. We can also boast one of the best socials in the uni, if not the world

What is the best moment from last season/tour?

There are numerous ones to choose from, probably when I ended up getting an £85 taxi back from Sheffield to Nottingham during BUCS because I was to pissed to get in the club. it wasn’t one of my proudest moments.

Who is the one to look out for in your team and why?
Sam Gardner, the captain of water-polo. I think he’s going to do wonders for that side of the club this year. Also Katie Gray the social sec, she makes it her mission to make sure you have a good night out on Wednesday.

Chris Stone – American Football

What makes you the best sports team?

Why are the Renegades the best team at Trent? We play the most physically demanding sport, in the toughest league in the country. How can anyone else compete with that? People that think that the changes and the pads make the sport easy? Just wait till you get hit by a 120 Kilo linebacker… you’ll quickly change your mind.

Best moment of last year was definitely beating the other team in Nottingham. We take a great deal of pride in beating our cross town rivals and being undefeated in the Varsity series. So being able to keep the tradition of winning that game was a great moment.

Who is the one to look out for in your club and why?
Adam Adeniji. Last year he dealt with some injuries and played behind one of the greatest American football players in BUAFL history. This year he’s healthy and will have the opportunity to be the lead back. He has all of the physical tools to become the next great running back.

Alfonso Martins – Volleyball

Second year, Biomedical Science

What makes you the best team?

NTU Volleyball was awarded the “Most Improved” society award last year and this is due to the incredibly unique people that make our club so outstanding! We have 1 male and 1 female team (both finishing first and undefeated in BUCS) but have about 50+ more people who come every Monday to our developmental sessions and play for fun! With all these people joining we have created a family and an environment of competitive sport and ridiculous Wednesday nights! There is always at least 30 people fully dressed to represent volleyball’s designated theme, trekking through 8 bars and ending up at Ocean. Volleyball is not the biggest sport at Trent, but we sure have the biggest heart!

On tour last year one of our members attempted, and successfully, made it to Spain without having brought his visa. As he walked from customs, tears were pouring down everyone’s faces! Later, we entered and won the beach volleyball competition… We were the only ones who turned up though…

Who is the one to look out for in your club (and why)?

Diego Harry Forlán is a player that all teams facing NTU this upcoming season should look out for. Practicing with other teams such as football, rugby, and table tennis, Diego joined volleyball last year quickly becoming a key player! As a 6ft2 outside hitter he is capable of hitting balls almost vertically down and at unbelievable speeds. Due to his strength and speed he is incredibly versatile on defence, not letting a single ball drop, and producing a block capable of stopping any strong hitter.

Aaron Mehta-Hill – Thai Boxing

Vice President Psychology. 3rd year

What makes you the best team?

There’s no other team that trains like us, were like a big family….that hit each other…a lot.

What’s the funniest or most memorable moment from last season/tour?

Season, competing in interclubs (small competitions) in Warwick and bullwell which is a big step for the club.

Who is the one to look out for in your club? 

Mikey bacon, new president. Watch out for his big plans for the club this year, he wants Thai Boxing to keep growing and keep competing and aim to receive the most improved club award at this years sports awards.