New TV show filming on Stirling campus

US period drama set in 18th century Scotland films scenes by Airthrey Castle

Stirling’s campus has been set upon a camera crew this mid-semester to film a period drama.

The crew are based next to Airthrey Castle, near student accommodation Alexander Court and, of course, the Principal’s luxury pad.

Dozens of vehicles have swamped campus to carry out the filming

A member of the crew revealed that they are filming Outlander, a 16-part historical drama for American TV.

It’s being produced by the Starz network, who have previously made Torchwood: Miracle Day, Spartacus and Camelot.

Opposite the golf course, a scene is filmed with some horses. If you stare close enough, you might be able to see them.

Neigh bad.

The show is based on a series of novels by Diana Gabaldon about a 20th century nurse (played by Caitriona Balfe) who travels through time to 18th century Scotland (played by Stirling University’s beautiful campus).

Good luck using that putting green now…

Filming has been taking place all around Scotland, with non-location scenes being filmed in a warehouse in Cumbernauld.

Stirling University has previously been visited by Louis Theroux’s film crew and nearby Doune Castle was filmed for Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the pilot episode of Game of Thrones.

The show is being executive-produced by Ronald D Moore who famously reinvented the series Battlestar Galactica and was spotted filming an interview earlier today.

“It’s the best thing I’ve done since the finale of Star Trek: The Next Generation…” Ronald probably said

It’s thought that the crew were invited to film this week to minimise disruption to students’ lives as it is the mid-semester break – which makes it OK to set up a ruddy great light at night to illuminate the location sets.

Right now it’s not in use, but when it is…

…it looks like there’s a UFO abducting people.

Still, at least the students nearby find it all exciting: