Stand up: Anna Kate Putter of Butler’s Deli

The Stand meets up with Butlers’ Deli icon. “If I were a villain, I’d definitely be something terrible and horrific!”    She looks like Lisbeth Salander, she’d be a villain […]

The Stand meets up with Butlers’ Deli icon.

“If I were a villain, I’d definitely be something terrible and horrific!” 

She looks like Lisbeth Salander, she’d be a villain over a hero, but she is sweet, funny, and even shy at times. She has big blue eyes, claims to be a crap vegetarian and delights in innuendos: her choice of ingredients for a new KKC/F Wrap would include cambozola, pastrami, and one pickle.

Meet Butler’s Deli iconic Polish-Irish-St Andrewsian Anna Kate Putter.

What’s your name?

Anna Kate Putter. The last name may sound a little weird. I’m actually from Polish and Irish descent!

But you were born in St Andrews?

I’m a St Andrews native, born in Ninewells Hospital. The artwork on the wall near the wrap bar is by my Dad.

Who’s your style icon?

Can I have several? Matthew Bellamy from Muse, Brian Molko from Placebo and a lot of people say I look like Lisbeth Salander from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. But I don’t know how I feel about that, I don’t want people to think I’m copying her, because I’ve always dressed like this.

You invented that look! Thank you.

You do have such a distinctive look. Where do you get your clothes?

I love an online shop called Demonia. Otherwise I go to charity shops, I was brought up in charity shops!

Some people sing in the shower. You sing while making wraps! Are you in a band?

I’m a singer. I’m also a pianist. I actually just did a gig for Channel 4. And I’ve recorded two albums at the Seagate Studio in Dundee. It’s a great studio. The producer, Graeme Watt is also the producer for The View and other big bands.

How did the wrap bar start?

It’s been going for twelve years now. At first it was just a way to use up the odds and ends from the deli, and then it turned into a cult thing!

If you could be a wrap, which one would you be and why?

The Green Day, definitely, because I invented it. And I’m a vegetarian (a crap vegetarian; I had a fish supper the other day).

How do you come up with wrap names?

We try to get them as close to innuendos and make them as suggestive as possible. “The Old Olive” was actually a cryptic crossword puzzle clue. The “Easy Vegetarian” is really just us saying we’re two slags. And the “Rusty Busker” is named after the flute player outside Tesco’s. He always wears brown!

Now for the short & snappy ones: West or East Sands?

West.

North Point or Bibi’s?

It would have to be North Point. Bibi’s is like diabetes in a cupcake.

The Vic or Aikman’s?

Neither. The Central! And that goes for everyone who works at the Wrap Bar. It’s our favourite.

Can you do a quick rap for me (pun intended)?

I’m sorry. That’s one I absolutely can’t do. I’m far too white. Too British to rap!

What is your best St Andrews memory?

Oh…That’s hard. Probably when I did a gig at Aikman’s. I filled the place up, there were people standing outside the door! That was in 2006 or 2007.

Are you going to play anywhere again soon?

I’m actually going to play at the Criterion around 8 or 9pm on Monday.

Let’s wrap (ha!) things up: Hero or villain?

Villain. Maybe like Lisbeth Salander, though I don’t know how to hack computers. But I’d definitely be something terrible and horrific.

Stop by Butler’s Deli for a Green Day Wrap and Check out Annakate’s music at www.whatthewolfstole.com

Photographs and interview by Inês Cardoso, understand Deputy Editor