A Reclaim The Streets Event is happening in Southampton this week

The event will take place at Mettricks Guildhall at 7:30pm on Tuesday

A Reclaim The Streets for International Women’s Day is being held at Mettricks Guildhall tomorrow, Tuesday 8th March, at 7:30pm.

This event follows last years #ReclaimTheseStreets event in Southampton which was moved online due to Covid restrictions.

This year’s event is being held on International Women’s Day, and marks just over a year since the disappearance of Sarah Everard.

A Facebook event has been set up for the event, where it will also be livestreamed for those unable to attend in person.

The organisers wrote, “The conversation surrounding women’s safety is as important as ever, particularly in Southampton, where sexual offences are the second highest in England.

“Whilst extra funding has been promised to tackle this, it is obvious that women are not safe.

“We want to do our part in raising awareness of the issue by holding space for the conversation.”

The organisers told Soton Tab, “This year we wanted to create an in-person event to come together and finish what we started a year ago.

“The recent statistics released places Southampton as the second highest in England for sexual offences. This shocking statistic shows that women are not safe in Southampton, and more needs to be done by the council, and by normal people, to raise awareness and improve women’s safety.

“This is achieved through measures such as extra funding, but also by holding space for the conversation surrounding women’s safety, and allowing those affected by this issue to talk and be listened to.”

The event will consist of a panel of speakers who will be discussing their experiences and perspectives on women’s safety. There will also be a Q&A session where audience members can ask questions to the panellists.

To keep up to date with the latest news of this event, follow the Instagram page, @reclaimthestreetssoton.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• As women we should be able to walk home safely, but these stories prove we can’t

• Women are sharing how men can make them feel more safe at night

Revealed: Just over a quarter of all university professors are women