Sheffield students launch occupation of three university buildings

They’re calling for the uni to give into UCU demands and to stop the closure of the Archaeology department

A group of students at the University of Sheffield have occupied three buildings on campus in protest against cuts to funding and services.

The students are showing solidarity with staff who are partaking in a national ten day strike this week.

Students have occupied the Jessop West building (the Languages department), the Hicks building and the Arts Tower.

Lecturers at Sheffield Uni are currently protesting about pension disputes, pay, and working conditions, as well as the closure of the Archaeology department and the restructuring of the Languages department.

After occupying Jessop West on Monday, Uni of Sheffield Rent Strike tweeted: “A group of 16 students entered this afternoon. The university must meet the UCU’s demands and halt the closure of Archaeology.”

One student occupier told The Sheffield Tab: “Staff teaching conditions are student learning conditions. We support our striking staff because they are fighting for a better university for everyone and this disruption is a small price to pay.”

Sheffield University Students’ Union President said they “fully respect their legal right to a peaceful protest, and appreciate their commitment to affecting change through direct action”.

The SU also says that the officer team is “regularly checking on the wellbeing of our members who are occupying the building”.

A spokesperson for the University of Sheffield said: “We are in contact with the students who are occupying the buildings and we hope that the situation is resolved as soon as possible.”