Man arrested for drug dealing just 10 minutes into his career in South Yorkshire

He had hundreds of pounds worth of cocaine and heroin

A first-time drug dealer was arrested just 10 minutes into his new career, Sheffield Crown Court heard.

Zico Oldham, who was 19 at the time of his arrest on November 20 2019, was accused of acting suspiciously by two plainclothes officers while with two men in Mexborough.

He pled guilty to possession with intent to supply Class A drugs, and was given two years in a young offenders’ institution.

The jury heard Oldham was found with £610 worth of heroin and cocaine, £90 in cash, and two phones – one for work, one for ‘business’.

The defence argued Oldham should be given a suspended sentence due to immaturity. Joy Merriam, defending Oldam, said: “His mother wonders if he was set up as he was caught (within) 10 or 15 minutes.”

Judge Roger Thomas QC dismissed the defence’s claims. He said to Oldham: “You quite clearly went into this offending with your eyes wide open and on an entirely voluntary basis.

“You chose to become a drug dealer in a park in Mexborough that is seemingly notorious for drug dealing.

“You don’t use drugs. You are a fit and healthy young man. You wanted to put some money into your pocket. There’s quite a lot about your case that’s difficult to understand. This is out-and-out drug dealing.”

Oldham is serving 27 months of detention in a Young Offenders Institution.

Featured image via SWNS.