474 students test positive for coronavirus at the University of Sheffield as cases soar

It marks a huge increase from last week

474 students and five staff members at the University of Sheffield have tested positive for coronavirus since September 28, according to the university’s online tracker.

It has reported at least 80 new coronavirus cases every day since last Thursday.

This comes amid the city being put on ‘red level’ last week and Sheffield UCU’s demands to halt to face-to-face teaching over concerns for student and staff safety.

It is understood no whole student accommodation blocks are in lockdown at the moment but students who have tested positive are self-isolating.

The weekly coronavirus rate in Sheffield for the seven days to October 1 now stands at 233.1 new cases per 100,000 people.

Should a student contract the virus, they must isolate within their households. The university “recognises how difficult it is to self isolate” and say they will remain in contact with the isolated household to check on their wellbeing, offer access to food and other essential deliveries, provide laundry services, online social activities, and peer-to-peer support.

If you are currently self-isolating or have symptoms, visit this site for support.

A university spokesperson said: “We recognise how difficult it is for students who are new to Sheffield and need to self-isolate because of Covid-19 cases.

“To make sure we are supporting students in the best way possible, we will contact all students who are self-isolating to check on their welfare and offer practical and emotional support.”

They added those affected by coronavirus were following Government guidelines and that support is available.