If you haven’t done these 10 things are you even a Sheffield student?

Yes, this list has been researched scientifically

Dear Sheffield, please come back. Oh how we miss your steep hills and greasy kebabs. Our yearning for the Steel City has reached intolerable levels, and in what is now a totally acceptable way to procrastinate from doing any actual work, we have invested hours of scientific research into compling this very list.

If you haven’t had these experiences, then I don’t know where you’ve been or what you’ve been up to, but you definitely haven’t been living your best student life. From the highs of Sheff’s nightlife, to the lows of student living, if you haven’t done any of these then please just leave our city.

1. Had a John’s Van

If you’ve never been tempted by the delicacy that is a Jon’s Van, then you are definitely missing out and it’s hard to believe that you’re even a Sheffield student. John’s lockdown delivery service means you can still get your John’s Van fix during lockdown, if you haven’t already.

Mmmm take me back

2. Had your picture taken with a ‘celebrity’ in Code

Code love getting in ‘Chasers’ and reality TV stars to boost their numbers on a Tuesday night. After a few 90p drinks, what student doesn’t want their picture taken with The Chase’s ‘Dark Destroyer’ or Kirk off Corrie?

Mum, I made it

3. Been on a West Street bar crawl

Every Sheffield student should be familiar with the West Street bar crawl – with free entry and great deals on drinks (especially Tiger Works’ £5 round), a class night out is all but guaranteed.

What an el classico

4. Had a ‘chunder chart’ in your flat

From fresher’s week onwards, the ‘chunder chart’ becomes the pride and joy of every kitchen; providing a relentless source of torment for its victims and a constant reminder of their lightweight status.

No sympathy, just laughter

5. Complained about doing your laundry

From making three trips to complete your laundry, to the absolute shambles that is the Circuit Laundry app, doing your laundry is definitely a chore. The cherry on the cake of the experience being when you take your clothes out of the dryer to find them just as wet as when they went in.

Don’t ask how I got this picture

6. Hid in your room to avoid a cleaner

After making the mistake of walking into the kitchen and being confronted by an angry cleaner, then having to awkwardly make breakfast, you’ll know that it’s much safer just to go into hiding until the coast is clear.

Sorry for everything we put you through Karen

7. Gone to the library and done no work

Planning to go to the IC or Adsetts with your friends in between lectures sounds like a great way to be productive together. But more often than not, the reality tends to be an hour of chatting and scrolling through social media.

Work? Who’s that?

8. Got on the 120 bus

Our prince and savoir from the hilly up and down trek to uni and back is the convenient 120 bus route and its £1 price for students. For the lazy ones among us, it’s an option that’s hard to pass up on.

My knight in shining armour. Credit: Matty, labelled for reuse under this Creative Commons License.

9. Been woken up by a fire alarm

Every student living in halls will have been caught out at least once by a weekly drill, or sometimes an actual fire alarm – always set off at the worst possible times. Oh, how we love seeing awkward one night stands sobering up together to the blissful roar of sirens.

Time never goes slower than when that alarm rings in your ears

10. Stayed in the Foundry or Hallamnation until the lights came on

Whether you’re a Tuesday Club, Roar or Pop Tarts kind of person, The Foundry is a firm favourite with Sheffield students who love a good night out – and if you’re not at the Foundry, you’ll be at Hallamnation.

If you haven’t been to the Foundry or Hallamnation, have you even been to Sheffield?