Image may contain: Light, Traffic Light, Path, Utility Pole, Tarmac, Asphalt, City, Building, Street, Town, Urban, Pedestrian, Person, Human, Car, Automobile, Vehicle, Transportation, Intersection, Road

Broomhall shooting: Man, 24, seriously injured in attack near Sheffield Uni

An investigation has been launched

A man remains in a serious condition after a shooting just yards from Sheffield University's campus.

Police were called to William Street, Broomhall, by paramedics at 11:30pm on February 18 after a firearm was believed to have been discharged on Upper Hanover Street.

A 24-year-old victim has undergone surgery and remains in a serious condition in hospital.

A heavy police presence remains in the area and detectives have launched an investigation.

Officers believe the victim was shot as he was walking near the recreational area off Upper Hanover Street, and then made his way onto William Street where emergency services attended.

He was found with injuries to his back and neck that are believed to have been caused by a firearm.

Detective Inspector Andy Shields said: “This was obviously a very disturbing incident and we are carrying out extensive enquiries to build up a picture of the circumstances leading up to the firearm discharge.

"During the execution of the warrant on William Street, two men, aged 24 and 27, were arrested on suspicion of possession of firearms with intent. The arrests are unrelated to last night's incident and both men remain in police custody.

"I'd urge anyone who may have information which could help us with our enquiries to contact us in the strictest confidence."

Broomhall is a heavily populated student suburb in Sheffield and Sgt Adam Wood spoke to reassure residents that police “have put measure in place to make sure people feel safe".

He also said “extra officers are patrolling the Broomhall area today and for the rest of the week to provide further reassurance”.

If anyone believes they have information relating to the incident, they can call 101 quoting incident number 938 of February 18, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.