Image may contain: Brick

Five people stabbed at Crystal’s New Year’s Eve event

The bar could be closed for three months

Five men were stabbed in the early hours of this morning during the Great Gatsby-themed New Year's Eve event at Crystal Bar.

Police were called to Crystal, on Carver Street, at 2:20 am after reports that people had been "stabbed or slashed".

All five stab victims are in their twenties, with two men in a stable but critical condition in hospital. The other three men suffered "superficial injuries", according to police officers.

A temporary closure notice has been put into place in order to "prevent nuisance or disorder". The owners of Crystal Bar are set to appear in court tomorrow (2 January) to discuss the closure, which could last for up to three months.

A forensic team have been called in and detectives continue to analyse CCTV footage in order to determine suspects.

The New Year's Eve party was themed around The Great Gatsby and VIP packages were being sold for as much as £1,000. The event description promised a Prosecco and canapé reception as part of "the biggest party of the year".

South Yorkshire Police have said: "On officer arrival, five men in their 20s were taken to hospital where three of the men were found to have superficial injuries.

"Two of the men suffered life-threatening injuries and remain in hospital in a critical but stable condition.

"An investigation is in its early stages and officers remain in the Carver Street area carrying out inquiries."