Image may contain: Shelf, Furniture, Bookcase, Book, Party, Crowd, Bartender, Bar Counter, Human, Person, People

Everything you realise when you come to Sheffield from the US

Just because you’ve seen Harry Potter does not mean you’re exempt from culture shock

I grew up in the rampant sunshine of Florida in the southern US. Sheffield, as you can imagine, is pretty different from my hometown. Not only are there more hills, different fashions and weird foods, there's a whole different weather system to contend with too. I've had to make loads of adjustments. But, for a uni like Sheffield, and a killer course, it's all been worth it.

So here you have everything that you realise when you come to Sheffield from the US.

The Hills

This is especially relevant if you’re from somewhere flat like myself, a native Floridian. Don’t bother bringing heeled boots unless you’re incredibly daring, but in all honesty all you’ll want to wear are a sturdy pair of trainers or Docs. At least you’ll have killer calves by the holidays.

Image may contain: Road, Freeway

My lungs are screaming. Thanks for asking.

Cheesy Chips and Beans

As an American, I am guilty of underestimating the soul-warming power of cheesy chips or beans after a night out. The sooner you realise that stopping at the Broomhill Friery to pick up something cheesy and greasy for your drunken walk home, the better. Trust me. To quote a flatmate, "We've won two wars on cheesy beans."

Student Discounts are everywhere

It’s always a shout to have you UCard on you at all times for shopping trips, and there’s no shame in asking if they offer a student discount. Chances are most shops (especially at the start of new terms) have got somewhere between a 10 and 20% discount on… even in certain coffee shops.

Image may contain: Poster, Flyer, Brochure

Rewards cards are a shout too because who doesn't love a free coffee?

Freshers' Flu

There is no preparing. There is no remedy. All you can really do is make sure you pick up extra tea bags, honey, paracetamol, and a boat-load of tissues on your first shop. You’ll appreciate it when you wake up and suddenly feel like you’ve got a death-rattle of a cough in your chest. I'm not suggesting first years don't get sick in the states, but Freshers' Flu is a rite of passage.

Image may contain: Pillow, Home Decor, Cushion, Embroidery

Hello, mom? I think I'm dying.

Indie Coffee Shops, Coffee Shops Everywhere

One of the many perks in living in a cool Northern city, is that’s it’s more affordable than major cities in the South. That being said, Sheffield boasts an enormous amount of independent coffee shops to help drain any excess in your student budget. So. Many. Cool. Coffee. Shops.

Image may contain: Furniture, Chair, Drink, Beverage, Potted Plant, Plant

Subtle Differences in Clothing

One day you’ll head out in your favorite dress from that hip stateside store and realize that something feels off, and suddenly you’re ten times more conscious of what you’re wearing at all times. Fashion-Culture-Shock is most certainly a real thing. Lucky for you, you’ve got a massive choice of vintage shops around the city to help adapt your wardrobe.

Nights at the Student Union

Most American universities don't even have a student union, let alone would they host nights out like our own. Saturday nights at PopTarts or other events in the Foundry are worthwhile. That being said, chances are on your first night out, you’ll hear the masses all singing along to songs you’ve never heard before in your life. It’s the worth the time to familiarize yourself with British artists other than Adele and Ed Sheeran. Honestly. (Hint: McFly)

Your Driver's License is Not an Acceptable Form of ID

According to nearly every restaurant, bar, and club in the UK, American driver’s licenses look fake. Somehow explaining to the bartender that if you were going to have a fake ID it’d say you’re 21 not 19 won’t cut it. Take a BRP or UK Provisional License instead (or your passport if you're desperate).

Image may contain: Text, Passport, Paper, Id Cards

but hey, at least all your underage friends in the states'll be jealous

Spoons

No, you’ve never been to a Wetherspoons before, and chances are when your flatmates learn you’ve never heard of it, you’ll be dragged there ASAP. It’s worth every minute of the walk from uni accommodation.

Image may contain: Vegetation, Forest, Sweater, Clothing, Cardigan, Human, Person, People