Let’s not lie, the hardest thing about going back to uni is leaving your dog

It’s the most heart wrenching long distance relationship you’ll ever have to endure

Everyone misses their home comforts, but it’s not saying goodbye to your comfy bed or the home cooked meals that hurts the most. It’s undoubtedly the emotional farewell to your dog that is the hardest thing about returning to uni. Since it’s the first week of term, spare a thought for the poor students that have been torn away from their beloved companion. It’s going to be a tough few weeks.

http://www.instagram.com/p/BNClaHMhH6w/?taken-by=tashagrossi

They’re the friend from home you’ll miss the most

We won’t always admit it but the ‘no pets’ rule can really suck sometimes. The lack of contact with a dog, cat or any pet as a student can really take its toll, so do not be worried when I approach every dog I see on the street with as much enthusiasm as if it were my own. Saying goodbye to the cute pooch you’ve only just met will only remind you of how hard it was to say goodbye to your one true love. And no, your mum sending you an adorable photo of your dog does little to ease the pain.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BN4zbO1h0U6/?taken-by=carolinejfdeban&hl=en

Dogs are way better that humans

Everyone cannot wait to see their beloved doggo again, but no one really talks about how hard it is to leave them. People will ask if you miss your family and home friends but please, just remember the poor students who are missing their dog the most. Your dog is the perfect housemate.

You won’t argue with your puppy, and your dog won’t tell you to wash your dishes or leave you passive aggressive post-it notes. No, your dog loves you unconditionally. After saying goodbye to your dog, you are forced to return to an animal-less student house and you can’t help but feel something is missing.

It’s a feeling you wouldn’t wish upon your worst enemy

You’ve missed your uni friends and you’ve missed the freedom, but one thought lingers: ‘will my dog miss me?’ You begin to get worried. Will you be forgotten? Will he/she start to love another family member more than you? These are all the torturous thoughts every dog-owner must endure and I truly sympathise with you if you have to leave an adorable new addition to the family behind. I cannot begin to imagine the pain you must be feeling.

It’s the hardest long distance relationship you’ll have to do but nothing compares to that feeling of euphoria when you are finally reunited. So to all dog-owners out there, stay strong. You are not alone.