The UK’s tallest carousel ride is coming to Sheffield

Who’s brave enough?

The UK’s tallest carousel ride – standing at an impressive 220ft – is coming to Sheffield city centre next month.

The massive carousel is currently in the process of obtaining planning permission, and is set to be placed on Fargate, near Surrey street, from March 13th to June 5th.

Whilst Leeds boasted an 100ft carousel last winter, this gigantic structure promises to be a whole lot more impressive.

Hope you’re not scared of heights

The Star Flyer is more than twice the size of your average carousel, and was was originally set up in Liverpool, before moving to London and Manchester.

The ride will be open from 10am to 11pm seven days a week, with the city council hoping it will increase the number of visitors to the city centre.

While some argue the height of the ride may be an eyesore to the city, standing taller than the Town Hall and the Cathedral Church, the council’s report said: “The presence of this attraction will help to encourage visitors to the city centre, contributing to its vitality and viability.

“The economic benefits of the scheme will far outweigh the short-term visual harm caused.”

Sophie Hunt, a Bio Med finalist, is one of many excited about the prospect of the ride being built next month. She said: “I think it sounds really cool! 200 feet is ridiculously high though, so I’ll have to be feeling brave.”

The towering carousel seats 24 people, lasts around four minutes, and will be open until the beginning of June.