Che Guevara’s daughter to speak at SU

Get your T-shirts ready

Dr Aleida Guevara is to give a speech about the Ebola crisis.

Che Guevara’s eldest daughter Aleida, a paediatrician and human rights campaigner, is coming to the SU Auditorium next week to talk about Cuba’s impressive aid efforts in West Africa to combat the Ebola virus.

Dr Guevara, who lives in Havana, will give her speech entitled ‘‘The Greatest Story Never Told – Cuban Internationalisation and the Ebola Crisis’ on Tuesday 2nd December in the SU Auditorium at 2 pm.

Aleida Guevara

The event is being hosted by the Department of Politics, the Politics Society and the Latin American Society,  with the help of the Sheffield Cuba Solidarity Campaign.

Dr Guevara’s talk will aim to bring attention to Cuba’s admirable history of humanitarian endeavours in the developing world, a story which is often ‘never told’ in the Western media.

A Marxist like her father, Dr Guevara is an accomplished member of several international aid missions, and is a strong advocate for human rights, universal healthcare and debt relief for less developed countries.

Classic Che merchandise

Dr Steve Ludlam of the University’s Department of Politics said “I am delighted that we are welcoming Cuban paediatrician Aleida Guevara  to speak in the University during her UK visit.”

Another speech is taking place in Sheffield at the Quaker Meeting House on the same day. Both events are free to attend.