Sheffield disappoints in LinkedIn University Rankings

It might not be so easy getting a graduate job

The University of Sheffield just about scraped into the top 25 for graduate prospects in accounting, marketing and media.

Business social network LinkedIn rated Sheffield among the bottom Universities for all three subjects.

Sheffield was given mediocre rankings with 21st for media professionals, 23rd for marketers and 24th for accounting professionals getting jobs at the best companies.

Accounting graduate prospects in particular were ranked equally with Newcastle poly Northumbria, serving as a real blow to that classic Russel Group pride.

Predictably LSE lead the rankings, coming first in marketing, investment banking and finance. UCL was not far behind, ranking consistently in the top three.

Our near rivals Leeds had better success. They beat us in every category, despite Sheffield being ranked top in Yorkshire for graduate prospects.

LinkedIn also rated universities on graduates getting jobs in investment banking and finance, subjects which Sheffield does not offer.

The Tab spoke to some of you about the LinkedIn rankings and received mixed opinions.

Holly is worried about getting a job

Second year Journalist Holly Dray was concerned about her prospects: “If I’m honest I’m quite worried when I leave because it is so competitive, especially in media based jobs.

“So I’m thinking about maybe doing a year abroad at some point. Because I think you need something to make you stand out than just a degree these days.”

Tyler is happy with the help to improve her job prospects

Third year Tyler Shutts had praise for her course’s attempt to improve her employability: “The management school is quite good because we’ve got the employability hub and all these activities that can help with CV’s.”

She added “its just actually getting the motivation” to go to these events.

Journalism student Lily Clarke said: “I feel slightly confident because its only out of 25 unis and there’s a hundred unis in the country.

“But of the top 25 being 21st isn’t great, I would have expected much higher for this establishment.”

Lily thinks Sheffield should have done better

An anonymous fourth year currently applying for graduate schemes in banking and finance said uni had given him “a good chance of getting a job” by offering him a year abroad in Paris at the French Oxbridge.

“In terms of prospects I’m still confident – despite a few rejections – but cant let that get me down too much,” he said.

Only 34% of recent graduates have a found full-time job in the career of their choice, according to research by Endsleigh Insurance.