Students warned after break-ins in Crookes, Broomhill and City Campus

Crime is up in student areas in Sheffield

Police have warned students to be careful after a recent wave of break-ins in student areas in Sheffield.

In this week alone there have been five break-ins in student areas such as Crookes, Broomhill, Sharrow and Edward Street.

Laptops, phones, bags, wallets and even cars have been taken.

Police specifically urge students as to keep doors locked after “seeing a steady increase in burglaries where people have left doors insecure allowing easy access to burglars and opportunist thieves”.

Police warned against “opportunist” thieves climbing through windows and wearing hipster headwear

Student accommodation has recently become more of a prime target.

Over £2,000 worth of items were recently taken from student housing on Edward street.

Students living in Edward street are £2000 out of pocket

Two laptops were also stolen from a house on South View Road, Sharrow, between 2am and 3am on Monday

Would-be offenders broke into a house on Hoole Street, Broomhill after gaining entry in the early hours of February. Although the intruders left empty-handed, other residents haven’t been so lucky.

Residents in Broomhill had a lucky escape after a break-in

Charlotte, a second year Economics student, agrees, stating that “students need to be super careful, I got burgled whilst we were all asleep on Sunday morning! We left a window unlocked downstairs and they came straight in and out”.

Jack, a third-year Chemistry student, said: “Police knocked on my door after a break-in just off School Road last week. They handed me a notice about it and told us to keep our doors locked and look out for anything suspicious around our neighbour’s houses.”

Burglaries have been reported just off School Road in Crookes

Have you been burgled recently? Got any tips for avoiding being targeted? Let us know in your comments!