Going Sober for October

What’s it like to go for a whole month completely sober? Isabel Dobinson finds out …

Hats off to any student braving the dark and grimy underworld of student clubbing without touching a drop of alcohol: the sacred substance that makes almost everything and anything acceptable.

Yes, in the name of charity, some poor souls have lasted an entire month saying no to cheap booze, soberly having drinks split on them and looking after their mortal mates. But is it really all that bad?

Teetotal

After talking to someone daring enough to face perhaps the toughest challenge in the student handbook, it soon became clear that despite first assumptions, it IS possible to give up alcohol without sacrificing your social life.

Second year, Jon Lupton, has no problem in admitting the difficulty in going Sober for October after his spontaneous (and, ironically, slightly drunk) decision to take part in the campaign which raises money for Macmillan Cancer Support.

‘I’ve definitely coped through a stupid amount of caffeine and sheer forced enthusiasm for nights out’

Like real beer … but ginger

For Jon, the energy drink rush and determination not to miss out on a good night has seen him through sober nights at Plug, Leadmill and Tuesday Club. However, without hesitation, he confirmed the well-known fact that Corp should be officially labeled a no go area for teetotalers, claiming that never will his quad-vodless foot stick to that 3-inch grime again.

If you pick decent nights out, you can have just as much of a good time as when you’re wrecked … Corp was shit though!’

Intrigued by the claim that Red Bull was sufficient enough for one to stay up ’til 3 a.m. with only clammy drunken bodies for company, I wanted to give the caffeine rush a go. Armed with an exotic collection of energy drinks, the night started off optimistically.

Braced for sobriety

However, before I could sit back with my can of Red Bull and confidently claim that I was having a great time sober, the unacceptably late taxis and my more than merry friends saw my hopeful night without alcohol quickly turn into a desperate urge for a Jägerbomb.

‘I’d recommend it … maybe not for a month, maybe a week. It’s good to know you have the willpower to do it, and you feel a lot better physically as well’

It’s safe to say that I couldn’t cope on a night out without alcohol: both the beer blanket that arms you against the Yorkshire cold and the imaginary fan that keeps you cool whilst dancing in a sweaty club.

Although it was a fun night, going Sober for October is certainly not for the faint-hearted.

Sponsor Jon and donate to Macmillan Cancer Support here!